Colubrids & Vivarium Electronics VE-6 Rack

Hey everyone, I’m looking to get a Vivarium Electronics VE-6 Rack for my colubrids. My question is that, does anyone have any issues with escapes with them? Most of them are younger Honduran milk snakes, king snakes, and then some beauty snakes, so I am worried that they may be able to squeeze out from the gap, but unsure how large the gap actually is.

Any input on this would be great, thanks!

3 Likes

I have the VE-2. Same version but just a 2 tub vs 6 tub rack. I have only kept ball python in my mine as a quaratine rack. I will be no help on if escapes are possibly since I have not kept colubrids in those racks. I have attached a pic of mine with the spacing between shelf and tub. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Appreciate the response and the photo! I think that’s too tight of a space for them to fit in but unsure, will wait for others to reply.

If you don’t mind me asking, how difficult was installing the heat tape it came with?

Thanks!

2 Likes

That looks like 3/16” gap. I could see newly hatched colubrids, like the species you mention, fitting their head through there. You could cut a piece of cardboard or foam sheet to size of the shelf to insert between the top of the tubs and the bottom of the shelf until they are too large to fit.

4 Likes

The heat tape was very easy to install. I have built 3 racks from them and did not have any install issues. The racks have cut outs to guide the heat tape and instructions are straight forward.

2 Likes

Do you think a ‘22 snake (about a year old) could fit its head through that gap? Here’s some photos of said snakes. And thanks for the tip and reply!

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with milk snake growth rates but the ones in your pictures probably couldn’t squeeze their head through that gap. I would think that would only be a concern in first few months.

1 Like

Got it, appreciate the reply!

1 Like

Nice milk snakes btw!

2 Likes

I have the same gap on my rack. I used cardboard to wedge under the bin to close the gap at first. My hognoses are small, but not small enough to get out without the cardboard I’ve found. I suppose it depends on how small the babies are that you’re housing.

1 Like