Confession: Escaped corn snake - feeling guilty

I’m sorry for what you’ve been going through, @anon5387911. So many of us have been in the sad position of having one escape. Many times, the escapee does turn up safe and sound. Personally, I’ve been happily surprised to find a snake I had given up hope of ever seeing again. He was gone for several months then one day, there he was in the bathroom floor. So don’t give up hope.

Have you tried a 2-L bottle trap placed along a wall with a nice, tempting meal inside? This has worked for a lot of folks.

Please don’t ever feel like you can’t share here. The MorphMarket Community plis not like certain other sites. We don’t slam people, we don’t pile on with criticism. We try to help and support one another. We try to learn. Most of all, we care. We care about the animals, and we care about the people who care for them. That means you too.

I hope and I will pray that your sweet Ember is back in your life soon. In the meanwhile, please know that we understand.

8 Likes

Very well put @caryl and ditto from me to you @anon5387911! :heart::pray::two_hearts:

6 Likes

Try putting powder on the floor see if you find tracks in the morning

6 Likes

@caryl thank you so much! Your kind words made me smile this morning :blush: I have noticed that this community is vastly different than most. I’ve received nothing but support, kindness, and empathy since creating this account and making posts, and I’m incredibly grateful to everyone here. I haven’t tried the bottle trap. I assumed since Ember is so small to begin with, that she could just crawl out of the bottle even after eating. And at this point, with the amount of times I’ve put food out for her (either in her enclosure that’s open on the floor or under a warm hide) and it’s gone uneaten, I’m not sure food would even attract her :confused:

7 Likes

I’m sure she could crawl out, but the thing is, if she does go in, she likely won’t exit. It isn’t about the ability to fit through the opening. A bottle trap takes advantage of snakes’ behaviors; they don’t seem to process that they can get out.

To make a bottle trap, cut off the top portion of the bottle at the “shoulders,” invert it so that the opening is in the bottle’s interior, and tape securely around the edges. Be sure that there no stickiness exposed. Snakes go in, but they don’t seem to realize that they can leave. They will crawl beneath the bottle’s opening, toward the ends, even over the portion of the bottle’s neck with the opening, but I’ve never seen one actually find and use the opening. (Yes, I’ve put snakes near these traps to watch what happens.) If you think about it, they can’t see through the exit from their belly-down perspective.

Food is a possible bait of course, but so is warmth. So, in fact, is the snake’s natural curiosity. You can also toss a cloth over the bottle. In fact, just putting a cloth down in a corner can find a snake at times. It may not work, but then again it may.

8 Likes

Okay, I can try the bottle trap. I appreciate the explanation, and that actually makes sense. I didn’t realize it was more that they couldn’t figure out how to get out of it. It definitely wouldn’t hurt and it’s one thing I haven’t tried yet. Thanks so much!

8 Likes

It used to be a running joke when we moved that it wasnt technically My House until I lost a snake in it. Ive had many escapees over my many years keeping. I have found all but 2. One of my sand boas…actually got out twice… thank God I found her both times. An idea…is that you can put double sided tape in your door ways. Snake crawls across & gets stuck. ( then remove tape gently with olive oil) Dont beat yourself up to bad. Snakes are great @ getting outta stuff. & keeping up hope is good.

7 Likes

Check around water sources. I looked & looked for one of snakes once. Couldn’t find. Then my sub pump for my well broke. I found him in the housing for my sub pump. Dont know how he got out…dont know how he got into the pump housing.

6 Likes

In fact my very 1st snake that my parents bought me…when I was 11… got out about 2weeks after I got him…hadnt even officially pick out a name yet. I was devastated. One day about 2months later…I was @ school & got told my mom was coming to pick me up that day. She came & got me & ask me what would I have named that snake…which actually upset me. Well. She found him under the kitchen sink in the cabinet…grabbed my dad’s welding gloves ( cause she was scared to touch him) scooped him up! I named him Houdini… & had him for almost 15 yrs after that.

8 Likes

The sad reality of owning snakes is that you will almost certainly lose one at some point :frowning: As a rescue, we’ve been lucky that we’ve been able to recover every snake that’s escaped - but there have been some close calls for sure. I once left the door of my juvenile garter snake’s cage cracked and it was an absolute miracle that I found him. The only time I judge people for losing a snake is when they don’t learn from the experience. This certainly doesn’t mean you’re not worthy of another snake. Maybe consider rescuing? There are many snakes out there that need good homes and you can provide one. Our rescue is always full of ball pythons for instance and they are much less prone to escaping than colubrids - and much easier to find if they do manage to get out.

P.S. The fact that this has impacted you so much really demonstrates what a caring owner you are. There are many that would not be phased by losing a snake, which is a much more upsetting circumstance IMO.

8 Likes

@slpocrnich thank you for the tips, encouragement, and for sharing your stories. I’m glad you found most of the snakes that escaped. I have been checking around water sources. So far no luck, but from some of these replies, it seems snakes can survive way longer than 2 months missing so I’m trying to remain hopeful. And Houdini is a very fitting name for your snake!

7 Likes

@aj-admin Thank you for your kind words. I’ve definitely learned from this, though as I said in another comment, this is a crappy way to learn that snakes can squeeze through even the smallest of holes. I was very upset for the first month. Now I’m more… numb I suppose. But once the 2 month mark hit, the upset came back. I care deeply about all animals, but especially my pets. I love Ember in a way a lot of people don’t understand because they either don’t like snakes, or they believe “reptiles can’t love” so they don’t understand how I can be so attached to her. But I believe reptiles love in their own way. It’s a bond of trust and familiarity, and at times even a preference for a particular person. It might not be mammalian love, but it’s still a type of love. To have an animal like a snake, who is hard wired to run from predators (especially humans), trust you enough to choose to interact with you is sacred and special. Sorry, I’ll get off my soap box now lol. I have considered adopting, but the rescues in my area are hard to get a hold of (I don’t have social media and that seems to be their main way to communicate)

10 Likes

Plus she might feel secure in it so she won’t want to leave it. And putting a cloth over it will make it cozier.

4 Likes

Keep up that positive vibe in your last post!!

6 Likes

What got my snake back was, I built a heat trap. I put a bin up on some potting risers to sort of create a gap of a couple cm, really small, and put the heat mat underneath on low (still on a thermostat of course), but it was basically creating a dark warm snug recess, and then I put a little bowl of water nearby- they sniff for water sources. Then every morning, I checked under there. He turned up looking sheepish.

My Ball Python escaped once too but he’s a derpy boi and didn’t get nearly so far. I found him coiled on the fletches of a bundle of arrows leaned against the table his cage was on, looking confused at how the tree kept moving and he couldn’t seem to climb. Less than ten inches from his bin, the silly derp.

4 Likes

@athleticshoelace I don’t have heat mats (I use lamps) so I haven’t made a heat trap, but I appreciate the suggestion! However, I do have her enclosure on the floor, door open with the heat lamp still on. I was hoping warmth and familiar smells would attract her, but no luck. I’m actually going to try a bottle trap tonight. @caryl suggested it and explained how it works, and I’m feeling hopeful. I’m going to put a pinky mouse in there to entice her, cover the bottle with a towel to keep it dark, and I’ll put the bottle near one of the water bowls I have out. Hopefully with all those things combined, she’ll find it and decide to go in

6 Likes

Best of luck tonight, @anon5387911 ! I hope your Ember is safely found.

4 Likes

Me to me too @anon5387911! Sending positive vibes all night long!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::pray::pray::pray::pray:

4 Likes

Unfortunately, no luck with the bottle trap

4 Likes

Don’t give up though! She is there! I truly believe she is hiding in a spot you can’t see or get to until it gets dark and then she comes out. Every time you get up during the night for nature calling just flip on the lights in each room and give the room a quick glance around.

Also during the day try to keep your eyes on the baseboards, especially in the bathroom……

I really and truly believe she will turn up when you least expect it! :pray::heart::sunglasses:

3 Likes