Corn Snake Hatchling Identification Help

Hi guys, I bred a Blizzard male that was potentially het for Diffused with a Fire female and I’d like opinions on whether or not I hit on Fire babies. About half of them have more white on the heads than the others, like their Fire mother, but I’m not sure if that alone would indicate whether or not Diffused is present.

I’ve attached pics of all 8 babies, let me know what you think.

Also, please let me know what to look for/how to know the difference. It was fairly obvious with my adults but I’m not so sure with the hatchlings. These have all had their first shed already.

2 Likes

The animals in the 4th, 5th and 6th pictures are Fire.

3 Likes

We’ll need belly pictures of each one to confirm. Several of them do look to be fires (number 4, 5, and 6 probably). When dealing with diffused, the main thing to look for is a totally white belly with no checkers. The head pattern is from the masque gene (which most bloodred based corns have, for example, your fire is genetically amel + diffused + masque). The more ‘bald’ the head pattern, the more likely it’s diffused as well. The other trait is lateral diffusion. So the pattern on the sides of the snake should be fuzzy and barely visible, but they can still be diffused even with a more visible side pattern. All of them at the very least look to be masque amels, but belly pics will confirm which ones are also diffused.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try and get some belly pics.

1 Like

Didn’t get the chance to get any pics yet, but I took a peek at their bellies last night and sure enough, 4, 5, and 6 are all clear.

Thanks again for all your help! This will make identifying my next clutch a whole lot easier.

2 Likes