Corn snake morph questions

Hi, just popping back on this thread to say that I found out the owner did know his age and said he is around 4 years old. He is the biggest corn snake I have and compared to my other female 4-year-old corn he looks huge, wondering how in the world he got so big so quickly (eating every 1-2 weeks). I don’t know if you can tell by the pictures but he is around 4 ish feet long at this point. Do you think it’s right that he is 4 years old and that was just a fast grower? About getting a picture of his head, I totally forgot and as the fact that I’m taking him (and my other corns) out of brumation today, I can totally do that.

2 Likes

Growth is mostly determined by feeding schedule and amount, but genetics does play a role as well. So it could be a combination of a somewhat aggressive feeding schedule and genetic predisposition for large size. He does not look fat, however.

2 Likes

Yeah, he is what I would consider a “perfect” girth not too skinny or fat. He was fed twice a month for a while by his previous owner and not power fed in any way, an interesting point about the genetics though, it would be cool if he produced bigger than average offspring.

1 Like

Do you have a way to weigh the snakes?

3 Likes

Yes, I have a vivarium electronics scale I weigh them on.

1 Like

It would be interesting to keep track of his weight gain as a ratio of amount fed to weight gained. It may be that he’s unusually efficient at converting food to body mass.

2 Likes