Corona virus preparation for your herps

So since the virus has affected many aspects of our daily life I would like to ask what should we all prepare for? Should we all stock up on frozen feeders and supplies? And how long should we prepare for? I feel like this is a super important topic at a time like this. I found out just today that my job will be having us on leave for the next 3 weeks due to the virus so this had me wondering what else this virus would affect.

8 Likes

I feel you. I manage a bar on Bourbon street. Im waiting for the city to shut it down. Luckily when I bought my BPs I picked up 3 doz small and a whole flat of medium mice. I know amazon has frozen feeders for sale. Delivery charge is $40-$50 whether you buy 25, 50, or 100. Just putting an option out there for you to source feeders.
Side note, this is a mammalian flu so I dont believe it can jump species to reptiles.

2 Likes

Oh I I’m aware on the type of virus it is but I meant how it would affect us to provide for our reptiles. At this point it’s just a waiting game. I stocked up on MRE’s (meals ready to eat), toiletries, and other things like that but I’m really curious what everyone else is going through. Hopefully this all blows over. But I’m gonna have to hunker down if it gets worse. Fingers crossed it wont though :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Considering if they shut down shipping (I work at a truck stop and that’s terrifying cause I’m sure they’d do the same with our store) I’d like to believe my job would give me some kind of warning. Then it’s just “ration” meals for most of my snakes. My sub adult corns would go from 2rat pinks a week to one, and my babies who are on 2 mouse pinks would down to one. We recently bought more like we would normally do so timing wise I’m not low. Worse comes to absolute worse I’d cut up pieces of my balls much bigger rats and offer those pieces to everyone else. Being corns I don’t think they’d be picky as long as it was generally shaped like their normal food.

3 Likes

I dumb lucked myself into being prepared. I was going to get a 3rd BP to breed with my albino black patel. After reading about genetics I started to get overwhelmed and decided to hold off on #3 for a few weeks/months until Im better informed. I put that money into amazon to stock up my pantry, bathroom and laundry room. Tuesday I decided to try the amazon/whole foods. So my freezer and fridge is stocked. The last day or two everything is going on lockdown or sold out. Honestly just dumb luck. At this point I wouldnt mind if Bourbon got closed for a week or two. More time with my new BPs. Im still not handling them as Ive had one a few weeks and one a few days. But, I do enjoy watching them in their enclosures, tracking temps from hot to cold, with/without a/c on etc.

4 Likes

I’m trying to stock up as much as possible just to be ready if worse comes to worse. Right now I probably have about 150 to 200 frozen feeders. Ranging from all sizes of rats and mice and I also filled up the garage with bags of substrate. More than anything I just hope this blows over and I also hope that shows that have been canceled just get pushed to a later date instead of outright canceling them.

3 Likes

How many snakes are you taking care of? More importantly, if you know your stuff would you mind sharing some knowledge along the way? I could def use some BP mentoring. I do a ton of reading but, just when you think you know something, you find out you didn’t know squat. Or the source was less than knowledgable. Over the next week or so I’m going to be posting my feeding routines, enclosures, temps, thoughts on developing handling while avoiding stress etc. I would really appreciate any insights or dressing down when needed.

2 Likes

I currently own about 22 to 24 bp’s but also own non ball python stuff. As far as passing along some knowledge regarding feeding would be that in my experience when a bp goes off feed you can expect to go through a few rats even when they aren’t feeding. It definitely doesn’t help to offer a rat you thawed out and then froze again for later. The less fresh it is the less likely they would take it. Some ball pythons are also weird because some may only eat colored rats while others will only eat the white ones or they will only eat it if blood is present on the rat. When they are babies you really get to understand their feeding habits rather than if you just bought a adult. Also I have noticed at least in my experience is if a animal goes off feed for awhile you should offer a smaller meal than normal because they will not instantly go back to eating their regular sized meal. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

3 Likes

This virus is a media hype. That’s all it is.
I wouldn’t stock up on any feeders unless you think your government or country is going to quarantine you in your house for 2 or 3 months.

6 Likes

Yeah. I keep trying to tell people that we aren’t going to be forced into our houses and put on lock down like in China. It is annoying to go to the store and not be able to get toilet paper because people are panicking and doomsday prepping. The chances of it affecting shipping is low. I work for Amazon so I will be the first to know if we aren’t going to be allowed to come to work. I will let y’all know if it gets to that point in the U.S.

6 Likes

The virus is definitely not a media hype.

The panic is a media hype. Big difference. We need to be careful over the next few weeks to slow the spread as much as we can so our health care system can stay on top of it.

Which I think we will btw, but the virus itself is a very very real threat.

15 Likes

The biggest worry I have is not about my own health when I get it because I don’t belong to a risk group, but in the risk of infecting others who are less healthy and the pressure it give on the healthcare system. So I feel that responsibility. Here in Holland the virus is spreading seriously and the country is going on a lock down, so no matter how, you have to prepare. Shops will stay open but you have to be prepared. Like now, I woke up with a sore throat and blocked nose. Most likely it’s simply a slight fresh cold and even if, I 'm not worried, but for now I will not come close to other people because I don’t want to be responsible for spreading germs or in the worst case the virus. And I can stay in without a problem because I did prepare.

I have two medium sized freezers and have enough mice and rats in them for the next two month in every size I need. I have insects for our bearded dragon for two weeks but also have a big pot crub pie from repashy for him. He really likes this and it is very healthy for him. Bought some extra mealworms and crickets for the leopard gecko’s, an extra bag pangea for Chompy, our crested gecko. Premixed some extra catfood mixed with veggies and froze it in ice cubes ( like normal)for Skittles, the blue tongue skink, and bought extra dogfood for the dogs. Most of this it is not even a hustle that much because I in general take care I have enough food for them in the house, only now I filled up just a little more than normal. I’m just happy all my snakes eat frozen food so I don’t have to worry about keeping live mice and rats in 10 different sizes.

For groceries I did the same. Just have enough in the house for about three weeks. Figured that if I don’t get sick I just keep doing my normal grocery shopping and keep it filled up for about three weeks. And if I get sick than I can at least survive for those weeks before I have to come out. In worst case I can still buy groceries online. I assume that if corona gets me, it will not really take longer than two weeks because as soon as the symptoms stop you can not infect people anymore. If it gets worst than most likely I had to stay in hospital and they will take care of the food.

So all together, I did prepare but I didn’t empty the shops. Also didn’t buy loads of toilet paper and paracetamol like a lott of people seem to do :grin: and I still don’t understand the toilet paper part.

One advise to all of you who didn’t get the high impact we are facing here in Europe yet, start preparing before the gouverment tells everyone to stay home and start locking down. Dutch people are known for not worrying to much and seeing things very much in perspective, but if you go to a supermarket now the shelves are empty. They news about the “lock down” came thurstday afternoon. I went for some last groceries yesterday morning. The supermarket was totaly packed. The loads people where buying where crazy and by noon most products where sold out. They put up in the news now that they can not refill till monday. So it’s better to prepare before the crazyness starts.

2 Likes

Fortunately we are a few weeks behind the spread in several European countries so most of the US has already called off schools, sporting events and concerts, and many businesses are following suit.

The hope and expectation is if we can mostly keep to ourselves for a few weeks and limit large gatherings it should make a big impact on being able to contain it.

1 Like

Don’t surpriced by anything anymore. Two weeks ago we were laughing and joking about it too, but not anymore. Everyday the measures get more serious and we here don’t know yet what the next one will be. We went in one and a half week from 3 infected people to more than 800 yesterday. Todays numbers are not public yet but I count on at least 150 extra and since they are not testing family members in the same house anymore but simply put hem in quarantine, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Italie is on a total lockdown like china allready. Doctors are deciding every day there
Who gets help and who not because they can not handle the situation anymore. People are dying because of corona not only because of the disease but because they don’t have enough IC beds and nurses to treat them.

The only thing we can do is preventing spread and hoping spring comes soon. So jt’s not only wether the shops stay open but also wether you yourself can go to the shop. What if you get a fresh cold, will you still go? First symptoms of corona are the same as nromal fresh cold. So it’s better to prepare but just don’t go crazy so there is still something left for the next man to come.

1 Like

Don’t count on months ahead warning, count on hours. If it hits US like Europe now, than count on the fact that tomorrow everything can be totally different than today. I don’t want anyone to be scared, but better not be taking by surprise. But on the other side, life is not falling apart. China starts producing goods again, in Utrecht ( Holland) scientists discovered anti bodies against corona so they are working on a vaccine. It will not help this year yet but if we can contain the spread next year everything will be different.

Last update, Spain just went on total lockdown too. You are only allowed to come out for buying food, medicines or neccessary jobs. If they catch you outside without very good reason the fine is 3000 euro. In one day 1522 extra infected people were discovered. Better prep for your reptiles/animals because I don’t think they consider getting reptile food neccessary.

For keepers of insectlovers, repashy crub pie is really a good alternative. Full of calcium and easy to mix. Just mix powder with hot water and let it cool down. Zilly our bearded dragon loves it, when I hand feed him like a baby :grin:. If I just put it in his enclosure he doesn’t pay attention to it.

1 Like

The worst thing that can happen is if the virus mutates in a way that makes it more severe which can happen given how easy viruses mutate. As long as it stays in its current “form” its gonna continue as its been the last while. Here in Canada where I am schools are gonna be closed likely till early April, many tourist attractions (Cn tower, Zoo, museums etc) have already closed to the public till at least April 5th. I say be cautious…dont panic but dont take it too lightly and let your guard down/downplay the virus. Problem is most of society around the world is currently in one of those 2 categories (more so the 1st one). I’d try to stock up on stuff needed just in case but dont overdo it. Please stay safe everyone!!!

1 Like

Hmmm…I’m with you on it being hyped by media but I also think some parts have truth to it. A friend of mine is trying to come back to the states after being in Italy for the past year and he has it and he says that there are so many people that are sick and people that are freaking out about it. Parts of Italy are complete ghost towns. The part that I definitely think is being too exaggerated is the part how the media says it’s so deadly. Can it kill? Yes. Does it kill everyone who gets it? Nope. My buddy that has it says its basically just a slightly worse flu. But I do think its important to be ready just cause I wouldn’t be surprised if pet stores get shut down.

3 Likes

I can only agree on what you are writing. Here it’s just a matter of time before petshops are closing. It’s spreads like normal flu, but the impact on daily life is 1000 times worst than normal flu, partially because of media and the fear. That’s why I’m trying to warn. If you wait till the announment comes everyone starts hoarding and nothing is left. If you prepare in time you will simply dodge the crowd and that is better for everyone . Besides, if you want to get infected, go to a supermarket when everyone is hoarding. The supermarkets are more crowded than a bar on a busy saturday night.

2 Likes

“Everyone work from home. Social distance yourself”

storms the nearest grocery stores
larger attendances in church

People don’t know what social distance yourself means

7 Likes

Herd mentality is a bitch

2 Likes