Could this be a het pied marker?

I recently got this od majave pastel het clown 50% het pied 50 % het candy. Could this section that is paternless be a pied marker?

2 Likes

I feel like the ID on this snake is not quite right…
OD pastel Mojave is not typically this pale. And it feels too extreme for that to be a het influenced color change.

That said…
The only way to know for sure is by having the snake shed tested with RGI. Not every patch like that proove out to be het pied.

3 Likes

Armiyana is right, the ID on this snake is off. It’s too light to be OD mojave pastel. For starters, it looks like lesser, not mojave, and there’s definitely something else going on as well.

That said, many different things can cause ringers or ‘patternless’ areas - including OD, het pied, calico, het clown, and lots of other genes. Given that the incomplete dominant genes are not correct, I would question the hets as well. If you want to know for sure, definitely do a shed test with RGI. They can test for both pied and candy.

Also, just in case you’re unaware, lesser and pied in combination often have very small eyes, so I would avoid producing them.

6 Likes

What were parents.
As I agree it doesn’t look like what you’re saying.

2 Likes

No idea what the parents are. All i kno is what was on the description on MorphMarket.

if anyone is curious here is the listing

I do agree with everyone here that he looks dull. But imo the picture from the listing looks normal and pops more. The pic from the listing also definitely shows more mojave. They tend to make those dark top colors really pop and does similar blushing to lesser/butter on the sides. I encourage you to send more pictures in different lighting so that we can really see what this snake is.

Here is the pairing combo. Pastel Lesser Mojave Od leopard clown het pied x dh candy pied

Just thought I would mention incase you ever sell/have to rehome her, she would be 66% het pied not 50%

2 Likes

Bugger having a bel with other genes too, would confuse me too much :joy:

66% het pied does make it more likely. Knowing the adult pairing… I think that the chance of them proving het pied to be very likely. But there’s still that chance they may not.

The color does look a lot closer to lesser, which is funny as we all seemed to suspect. I know the animal is in deep shed too but the color did still seem too light.
I don’t see leopard at all. So the other question is if maybe this was actually HI OD or if the BEL possibly was carrying something like cinny or fire as well.
As is, unless proven otherwise with future genetic testing or breeding, I think it best to go with what the breeder listed. But keep in mind they may be lesser and not Mojave and are slightly more likely to be het pied than not. =)

Some lessers do start out darker and lighten over time so maybe at hatching that was why they were listed as Mojave? But either way, that’s a cool little noodle. I hope they prove out for you! But I would be very careful as mentioned above. BEL genes do not play nicely with Pied or Albino. Single genes are usually okay. (I have seen a couple with small/bead eye/microphthalmia though) It’s when you make a Blue Eyed Lucy combo that things get bad.

1 Like

Il upload more pictures after work . Im Leaning more towards breading her with a clown or a pastel het clown but that wont be until next year.

Here is more pics.

I can’t make a recommendation on het pied but I can promise you this snake is lesser, not mojave.

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes