Could this work?

Hello all, I’m I’m still kinda new to boas and would like to know some things about what morphs you can breed with each other. When I got my first boa I got a female that’s a BCI Hypo het anery pos het vpit+ and she just made me fall in love with boas, rn she’s still very small but in the future I would like to breed her. I later picked up an adult male who is 6yrs old he’s a Nicaraguan T+ sunglow and he’s freaking bad ass and I was wondering maybe some years down the line when my female has matured would they be a good match. Pics of both female and male

6 Likes

Those 2 albinos are not compatible, but you certainly could pair them. The possible outcomes for that clutch include a mixture of normals (with potentially interesting patterning given the mixed localities), hypo, super hypo all the are het for both lines of albino and pos het for anery.

4 Likes

So there is no potential for anything to come out and be like the male or better? What would be a good match up for the female?

3 Likes

just noticed she was only pos het for VPI so the paring with the male would only be post het VPI. The only certainty on pairing with her would be a male with anery. If you found a male that was visual VPI and/or anery (likely type 1) you could attempt to prove her out and make VPI moonglows.

For your male, find a Nic female that is either het or visual albino and maybe has motley to make some really nice visual babies. Motley in the nic albinos really pops.

5 Likes

Damn some Moonglows would be nice! Thank you I would love to see what she gives me in the future

4 Likes

Well to the family @santana1995! Ya just gotta love boas period! So glad you found us! I’m not a boa breeder, just a boa keeper, but you will find way more than enough advice to get your breeding projects going.

There is so so much experience here! Come back even if you don’t have questions! We have a lot of fun! :blush:

4 Likes

I think you got some good advice.

It takes some getting used to and a little bit of research on what genes your animals have but the genetic calculator here on MM is a great tool to familiarize yourself with.

Here are your animals plugged into the calculator (I believe nic is CA t+ but not 100% sure on that)

You can see the ratio/percentage of what your animals should produce. If there have been similar animals listed it will have a hyper link and you can get an idea of what they’ve sold for.

I used that calculator a lot when I first got back, dreaming of pairings I’d like to do. When shopping for a mate to an animal I already owned it was key and would help me make decisions. I’d find an animal, the MM listing includes the individual traits and I would be able to plug that in the calculator to see how the potential purchase’s genes would work with my boa. Doing that over and over I started to get a grasp of how recessive, incomplete dominant traits, ect worked.

6 Likes

Wow thank you so much!:pray:

6 Likes

See @santana1995 I told you this place is great. These people know what they’re talking about! :+1::grinning:

6 Likes

Yes super happy to have found this , I never used the calculator on morph market until today and it’s pretty bad ass!

5 Likes