Crazy Clutch doesn't make any sense (please help identify)

Male is a Piedbald Het Lavender Albino
Female is supposed to be a DH G stripe Piebald
Female was purchased from Rphillips on MorphMarket . (account seems to be gone) I actually bought her in person from him in Orlando. He said that his bother was one of the largest breeders in the Orlando area for years and that this female was one of the last snakes remaining from his collection. I texted him earlier but didn’t get any response yet.

She laid a large clutch of 9 eggs 8 healthy.

I cut the eggs a couple of days ago and was disappointed not to have any Piebalds. Today, I am puzzled more than anything else. It looks like a clutch of axanthics. The non axanthics or non-silver colored babies have the more reddish coloring that my het lavs have.

I don’t own any adult het axanthic females and only have one piedbald female that is het vpi, her small clutch is in the incubator. Basically nothing was mixed and I record everything.

12 Likes

They do look axanthic. If she was het axanthic instead of pied and this was a partho clutch the results would make sense, but that’s the only option I can think of

Maybe the breeder had a labeling mix up with some eggs/hatchlings somewhere along the line

6 Likes

She had not been bred for some years.
She lock more than 12 times with my Piebald het Lavender.
She visually looks like a normal

2 Likes

Can you sex all the babies and let us know what you find?

Those are definitely Axanthic

6 Likes

Some are still absorbing the yolk.
I will sex and report back.
I honestly doubt they are all females.

Thanks

2 Likes

That was my first thought! they are very beautiful!
Would love to see them after their first shed.

2 Likes

I hope this works out for you. It would suck if it was a pratho clutch.

2 Likes

I took a closer look at them today.
looks like 3 silvers (poss axanthic) and 3 not
One silver is out of the egg and the alien heads are completely different than the others.
The normals look like het lavenders. I don’t use any filters on the camera. They are very vibrant.

today I checked all my records.
She started wrapping her bowl in Sept and was paired then she was paired through early March. This is mother,
she is the only aggressive ball python that I have and is always ready. (1 in 100) She is a pretty plain looking normal.

I will provide more information as they all come out of the eggs.

Thanks everyone

7 Likes

This is the dad
Pied het lavender albino

the “normals” are extremely bright. I don’t produce many normals but they are different than anything I have seen before.

I will prob after they shed.

6 Likes

If hets could be reliably identified visually, we wouldn’t be playing this guessing game.

Furthermore, if the father of the clutch is het lavander albino (has he been proven out?), only 50% of the babies would be expected to be het.

7 Likes

My guess is that the dad is actually pied het lav / het axanthic. Mom is almost surely not het pied but is a het axanthic and may or may not actually be het g stripe (I wouldn’t count on it considering the background).

Extra brightness in the normals may be coming from het lav influence (50/50 chance on each, may have got lucky and hit all het lavs) or might simply be from the bloodlines.

I’ll be interested to see more photos after they shed out. Congrats on the clutch!

4 Likes

Thanks for the responses, I am hoping that he is DH axanthic and het Lavender.
if he is the odds would not make sense though.
I believe it would be 16:1 to get a visual axanthic
Got 50% of the hatched eggs.
I have more then enough het Piebald females.
This is this males first clutch.
anyone really into axanthic want to guess which strain.

Thanks

1 Like

Right now I’m on the fence but leaning slightly towards VPI. After they shed I can give more educated guess.

2 Likes

Is the female a wild caught import?

2 Likes

I don’t know, The seller did not know how old she was but stated it was one of his brothers favorite snakes and that he had her longer than he can remember.

1 Like

I’m just curious how you can visually identify what line it is? And a side note gcr axanthic sprung up in a pied line.

6 Likes

I can’t tell them apart to a point of certainty so it would just be a guess based on hatchings VPIs for a few years. To my eye VPI’s are usually a deeper silver early on. As they age, single gene TSKs lighten up some in color where VPIs get darker. Definitely not a science just what I’ve noticed since I started working with VPI.

2 Likes

I’ve hatched both vpi and tsk and I don’t think you can honestly tell the difference personally. Most of the differences lie in the quality of line you get and there are good and bad lines of both.

3 Likes

And natural variance figures too, that’s why it’s just a guess and I didn’t claim to be any more accurate than that, but to my eye there is a color tone difference in the average example of either line.

4 Likes

6 healthy babies
No kinks no defects

3 Likes