Creating my own Dubia colony

OK. I may be morbid, but this is one of the most interesting things I’ve seen on the internet in a while!!! I mean “sorry, can’t have shrimp, I made myself allergic to cockroach poo!” Can you imagine?
So, now I’m freaking out! I am trying to start a modest colony for just a few reptiles, but gad - at what price!? Does this happen to like, a LOT of people, or just those with a predisposition to shellfish allergies? I’m not allergic to much, so am I ok?
Also, those cleaner bugs you talk about, do they fly? Can they get out? If I put them in a nile monitor cage do they eat the poop or what? I need to google this! Going to be another long night! LOL

1 Like

Wait… you WILL?! Do you know why that is? No matter what I will become allergic to them?

2 Likes

Aerosolization of the exoskeletal proteins in their frass leads to it being breathed in rather frequently. Continuous exposure to a concentrated foreign protein in the lung tissues leads to an immune response against it. Given enough time, everyone that works with dubia develops an allergy to them

6 Likes

Wow that’s interesting! Thanks for explaining!

1 Like

Well Kacie looks like you’ll be wearing your mask at home also…Maybe it will keep you from breathing in the bad stuff.

This is great info! I started my colony just before this was on here, but it so would of helped as I spent hours researching, whereas a lot of it is here!

I rinse food in water a couple of times a week as part of their water intake so not too get too humid.

I started my colony for my Crested Geckos as I was struggling to get live food, but I also did trial and error.

I found that they breed better in warm temperatures, mine live on top of snake vivs so get the heat from there, plus it’s a warm room from so many ceramic heaters.

I had read about intolerance to shell fish, luckily I don’t eat shell fish and hubby is already allergic!

But I took precautions none the less. I have set mine up as bio-active, so requires less time spent near them and it is in the snake room, away from the house.

Mine seen to have favourite foods, I put in a mix of food but usually left over foods as I have 2 kids that often only eat half an apple or something lol

I recently cleaned them out as egg crates needed replacing and I think I may have thrown springtails away 🤦 so I will need to top them up lol

It’s a great learning curve and I love knowing that I won’t struggle to get insects again.

3 Likes

I fed my tarantulas solely on Dubai roaches.

They are very easy to care for and reproduce like crazy.
Everything I’ve read here is absolutely correct.
I used small round vents along the sides , towards the top of the tote. They had tabs that bent over and secured them in place. A little bit of hot glue just to be safe. Here’s a link. Redirecting...
They can not climb on smooth surfaces so don’t worry about them climbing out.
I used a small heat pad under the tote.
Shallow water source at one end. They eat lettuce, cantaloupe , apples and much more.
Cardboard egg crate worked best for me.
They do like and thrive in a dark environment.

5 Likes