Crested gecko 33gram female 2 and half years old ready to breed or not?

Hello I have a female crested gecko that’s 33 grams for the last year she is a lily white and seems too stale at that weight for a year tried everything to get her bigger but I think she capped out at 33grams do you think that she will be able to breed still thank you?:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would not. @ghoulishcresties can explain why a lot better than me

6 Likes

I would not either. Some cresties are just slow growers and I definitely know some females just cap out at smaller weights around 40-45, but 33g is still on the small side and I wouldn’t be comfortable risking it. Are you feeding growth & breeding formula? Do you feed insects? Both of those things can help promote healthy growth in animals that are a little on the small side.

5 Likes

No to breeding. Until 45+ don’t breed.
If she doesn’t go then don’t pair.
Too many issues involved breeding too small, becoming egg bound can lead to death which many cresties bred small pass from :cry:

6 Likes

I understand that and I waited for my other females to hit 45 plus but this girl just will not grow gave her insects growth formula and many other things people say will help and still nothing so not sure I will wait maybe another months but have waited a year might just make her a pet which is sad but better for her health

4 Likes

It’s a shame, but some just stay smaller or take a lot longer to grow.

Give her time, if she doesn’t grow then she’s going to be a lovely pet!

6 Likes

A lovely but expensive pet :rofl:

4 Likes

I agree, she is not ready to breed. She might just need more time. Or she may need to be pet only.

Have you got a pic of her?

3 Likes

That’s her my Instagram is Cracked out Geckos for more pictures

4 Likes

I don’t have Instagram so can’t see anymore pics, sorry.

Has she laid any infertile eggs yet?

1 Like

No she has never been paired I haven’t looked for any eggs but I weigh her a lot and she never dropped more than 2 grams before thank you for the advice tho appreciate it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Females usually lay eggs without being paired. Not often though.
It’s one of the cues to show she whether she is ready! As well as the right weight.

Maybe mixing up her food might encourage her to eat more? Is she housed with any other Geckos?

3 Likes

Most females usually lay duds.
I’ve never known a female to not lay…

Curious on her living conditions also.

3 Likes