Crested Gecko Breeding Pairing Questions

Hi! I have a lavender female crestie. I was curious what morph/color male would be the best breeding partner for her. Like in terms of “good looking” offspring.

5 Likes

Everyone has their own ideas of what is the best looking, so it depends entirely on what you want to get out of her. Which morphs are you interested in personally? :blush:

1 Like

Is there a way to make more lavender babies like her? Or what would it look like mixing her with a red or an olive? I know all the babies that come will differ but i’d love to get some white in them!

2 Likes

So it really depends on what you would like, but there are I few things I would recommend. Since she has such nice pinstriping, I would go for a male with similar pinstriping as you want the males characteristics to complement the females. I would also try your best to stay away from Dalmatian as it will make the babies harder to sell. Other than that, just look out for nice head structure and what will make you happy. She is a very beautiful little lady and I can’t wait to see her babies!

3 Likes

Lavender is Dark base + stacked hypo, so to make more lavenders another lavender would be the best, but a nice clean black dark base could also work. A clean red base could also work. Generally you’ll want something with a nice, clean, non-muddy base for the best results.

4 Likes

If you want more lavenders then a dark/black based Crestie or another lavender.

Red would make some nice hypo reds and lav babies also.

A yellow would also work as they’re also hypo.

4 Likes

What do you guys think about pairing her with a lily white- would that have high chances of white offspring ?
Or an olive?
Thanks

2 Likes

Lilly White is pm just another kind of white pattern gene like Whiteout or normal WP, so it would really depend on what else the gecko is carrying trait-wise. The full coverage lillies are just very high expression snowflakes, it’s not their actual base-colour.
Olive is a type of dark base, I don’t believe it’s neccesarily hypo-related, so idk that it would make lavenders either :blush:

1 Like

Thank you! I am new to understanding morphs. So my olive is a dark base but not hypo. But red or yellow are hypo. What exactly does hypo mean?

1 Like

Red and yellow are not neccessarily hypos. Hypo is a separate gene that reduces the amount of melanin in the gecko - it’s short for hypomelanism. Lavenders are black-based geckos with hypo added, typically over several generations to make it stronger and thus reduce the melanin more. Yellow can be considered hypo in a sense as the yellow trait naturally has less melanin however it is not the same trait that makes lavenders :blush:

1 Like

She is absolutely beautiful :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Would you be able to show me a photo of a black base that would work for making more lavenders ? I’m assuming red is just red but unsure what you mean by black base.
Thank u!

1 Like

Black base is just a Crestie that’s base colour fires up black :blush:
Usually they fire down grey or lav x

3 Likes

Tricolour lillywhite then yes, make sure black based and not brown x

3 Likes