Crested gecko breeding

What is the minimum weight for a female and male crested gecko to be able to breed?

2 Likes

Female 45 grams.
Males vary, usually say 30-35.

3 Likes

Some people believe 40g for females, but I agree with ghoulishcresties I think 45g is best for females and 30g Mon for males

2 Likes

Okay thank you, yea my female weighs 41 grams and that’s with no tail, do y’all think she’s good to breed.

1 Like

Tail means nothing when comes to weight, not sure why people think this, a tail weight a couple grams if that.
My 2 frog bums still are 45+ when breeding.
It’s not long to wait!
I have an 11 month old who’s 36 grams and laying infertile eggs, so she could breed now but she won’t be until up to weight.
With breeding also you need to consider that some females drop weight quick and can go off food and not want to eat and with laying too you need to keep checking. I weigh all mine weekly, even the males as they too when breeding can drop weight. So 45+ is best. I add my females in to the male vivs for a few days then take out and do same again in couple weeks. When laying they may drop to 40 or lower depending on the gecko, I then won’t put them back in with males again until up to weight again.

2 Likes

Okay thank u so u don’t put the male in the females vivs? U put the female into the males vivs? I thought it’s best to put the male in the females vivs

1 Like

I keep a few females in vivs together so I put females in with the males.
Also I’ve found if the scent of male is still in the females viv then they go off food a bit sometimes as keep smelling him and thinking they’re breeding. So it stresses them a bit.

2 Likes

This is only a tip that you get for being part of the forum with someone of experience, like you, @ghoulishcresties
You are a wealth of knowledge on here😁

3 Likes

I totally agree. This forum is very useful.

I haven’t bred mine yet as waiting on weight.

And I’m definitely going to try that with my Cresties, but not all. I’ve got a female that doesn’t do change at all so I’m thinking of male to her or both into a breeding tub (it’s a big box)

But I will experiment as to what is best for my Cresties

2 Likes

Males don’t take long at all usually to attach themselves! When Lilo was introduced to Kaneki a couple years ago for the first time, I had them both out as I was moving Kaneki to her viv, but the other half had put Lilo on my leg as was moving a plant, well he smelt her, jumped and… they did it on my leg… Wasn’t a great feeling knowing I’d been involved but there ya go :joy:

Since breeding will be new to her she should be ok to be moved to him then back in as other wise to keep smelling the Male may stress her. But all are different, that’s just what I think is best and what we do for all ours now after trying many different ways!
There’s a couple pairings if I wanted to I could keep together all year round as the females stay above 45 even with laying! Just feel better knowing they have their space away to not be harassed constantly as males are horny little gits! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Typical male! I had seen since people do keep them together all year, but again that’s something of need to really think about at the time of introductions

2 Likes

When you introduce the female how long do you keep them together before you separate them? And then how long until you introduce the male again?

1 Like

I leave them in for a few days. Then I put them together again after a couple weeks.
Then wait for eggs! If infertile try again, if fertile then I don’t put them together until a couple months after depending on weight again. This is more of a ‘boost’ as such to make sure storing some sperm.

4 Likes

I haven’t bred my Cresties yet, but that is the plan I have in mind.

1 Like