Crested Gecko Quality?

Hi all, I’m just getting my back into Cresties after years off. As such, I’m having to completely relearn a lot of the morphs/genetics/etc. I am unable to find a standard for crested geckos to meet. Is anyone able to tell me what to look for when finding breeding stock? I just bought a juvenile Dark Pin Dashed Harlequin with Portholes, but I had one person tell me he’s not what they would look for in a breeder?

4 Likes

Any pics of your bab? :blush: Structure and colouration plays a good part in breeding.

It all depends on what you want to produce really! If tricolours what kind? Normal? High white/cream? High contrast? Red tricolours?
A lot to think about :sweat_smile:

We breed and we look for certain genes to make the babies better than the parents let’s say!
High white tricolours, also working with red tricolours too, no pinning ideally and if so we’re working it out!
Mew work with many morphs/genes though.

What is your ‘end goal’ say? What genes do you want to work with?

3 Likes

These are the sellers pictures. Ideally I’d like to mess with darks, Harlequin, and Pinstripe or quad stripe.

3 Likes

Update: I actually changed my mind and went with a higher quality extreme Harlequin with pin dashing!

1 Like

Ooh do show! X

3 Likes

Yeah not one I’d get myself, I’ll leave my biased opinion out and say what I think as someone coming into it.

Obviously you need to know what mum and dads like before judging too much, also it’s lineage if any.

But… the structure isn’t amazing,
If you’re wanting to work with pins, then you would need another with higher pinning or a full imo, and better structure, quads you’d need a full quad for. And Harley’s then I personally would get one with more patterning!

4 Likes

I passed on it earlier and bought a higher quality extreme harli pin dashed with portholes instead!

2 Likes

Oh lovely!
Any pics of new one? :black_heart:

2 Likes

Yes any pics of this one?

As said above… Things to look out for are good head structure, lineage so you know what you are likely to be working with & so you can pass this information on when selling offspring.

Other than that, you need to choose something your passionate about.

Personally I love pinstripes & extreme tricolours. I’m also working with soft scales this year :crossed_fingers:

I love dark base also and majority of my collection is dark base

3 Likes

Pictures from the breeder. He gets here Wednesday!

2 Likes

A totally different type of Gecko, but pretty :blush:

Are you looking to breed this gecko in future? If not, then it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. You just limit your customers if you don’t have good structure or lineage etc.

I can’t tell if it has good head structure (I’m looking in the dark) but you can usually tell by looking at the parents head structure.

Have you thought of a name?

2 Likes

Extreme tricolour partial pinstripe it seems, white should spread more.

Head structure isn’t the best but you can improve on that with pairing to a Crestie with a big noggin!
Other than that, my type of Crestie :black_heart:

2 Likes

Okay, so so far nice color/pattern just lacking a little bit of structure? I haven’t been sent any overhead pictures of him yet to really judge the head structure myself. I’ve not been back in the game long enough to tell from a side image. I just noticed that he had decent crests then obviously how much I LOVE his color/pattern! I’ve always been a sucker for a high expression harlequin, but this is my first extreme! I know you said to breed to a crestie with a big head when the time comes, but what exactly would be the best to pair him with when the time comes? I would like to produce extremes, tri colors, quadstripes, and pinstripes. Obviously since my baby is a partial pin I would need to find full pinstripes or quadstripes in order to eventually get full pinstripes/quadstripes, other that that, just get more extremes and/or tris with those traits. Is there anything morph/genetics wise I should stay away from? I am not really wanting to produce dals, so I know to stay away from anything with Dal spots. And I was also told my boy is a pos dark, so opinions on that or if that changes anything breeding wise, please let me know! I would also love to produce reds (either red brindles with pinstripes or red harlequin/extreme harlequin/tri colors with pinstripes). I would assume that needs to be from an entirely different line considering this guy did come from darks, correct?

1 Like

Yes a full pin or quad. But as extreme tricolour also then will change markings a lot also so keep that in mind.
It seems brown based?

2 Likes

I believe so

2 Likes

It could be bark base, but as said above looks brown base. Once you get it and it fires up, then you’ll know.
It could get darker as it ages though.

With the extreme trait (hidden tiger trait) it will work against the pinstripe/quadstripe trait so you may have to work a little harder to get full pinstripe. But this can also depend on it’s lineage & which gecko you breed with.

I got my girl Vanilla as she was exactly what I wanted - pinstripe, extreme tricolour. Only, she has Dal spots.
I bred her in hope of producing a mini her without the spots, but sadly no luck. I’m hoping she might lay more eggs this year but will see :crossed_fingers:

I just picked him up from the FedEx HUB. Pictures from the breeder didn’t do him justice! I didn’t get good pictures of him fired up fully, but here’s some better pictures!

3 Likes

Awesome, your pics definitely look nicer :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! I feel like his head looks better too. It not perfect, but definitely better than what some of the pics she had sent me made it seem!

2 Likes

Nice lil bean x

1 Like