Crestie Egg or What?

I am completely new to crested geckos, and I got a pair of them in November. The day I came back from vacation, I found this in my female crestie’s terrarium. At first I thought it was a peice of wood, (as we do have some driftwood in her enclosure), but it was a bit squishy and looks suspiciously similar to an empty crestie egg. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

I’d say def an egg, does it feel empty? I see potentially a slit, so if it feels full it may be fertile but dehydrated, if there is a slit and it feels empty, check that habitat! Might have a hidden surprise!

2 Likes

The inside is completely empty, and the random peice of wood/egg is very dry. There could be fertile eggs in the terrarium, and here’s why. (Quick story incoming), so when I first got my Cresties, they came cohabbed in a single terrarium (which was slightly to my surprise, but you know how Craigslist is :person_shrugging:). One is male, and one is female, and according to the previous owner they had been cohabed for most of their adult life. I wasn’t really happy about the whole cohabing situation, so we’re working on getting the female her own terrarium soon, but anyway, she has been living in the same terrarium as the male for a few months now in my home, and it could be possible that in that time she could have been gravid but we’ll see :person_shrugging: . I am also starting to believe it’s an egg though, because when I checked up on her I she was in her humid box with a suspicious mound of dirt to one side of the box. I haven’t yet checked her box, but when I was going to open the box I found this lil’ oddball egg instead. Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

I absolutely think that’s an egg and you have a little one in there, hopefully safe and sound! Be careful when looking, they are sooooo small as babies!

Also one egg can happen, but they tend to lay 2 at a time, so look carefully for another egg, another baby, or make sure the female isn’t stuck with another egg in her and is eggbound

3 Likes

I would advise that you separate the male and female asap……

4 Likes

Definitely an egg.

I hope the parents didn’t end up eating the little guy, but I would definitely try and do a teardown to check for it.
And get the two separate asap. Especially if she’s laying eggs now, the male can make mom even more stressed and likely to eggbind if he keeps bugging her.

2 Likes

It’s an egg. Any sign of baby? If not may of been food :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Thank you for your help! There’s been a change of plans since we found the egg- female’s getting her own terrarium in at most a week, or however long it takes to set it up. I don’t think it’s going to be the female that will be moving though, I don’t want to stress her out too much if she is still carrying eggs, so it’s likely going to be the male that is moved out of the terrarium. Everything is going pretty smoothly and we are going to do a whole check of the enclosure in a day or so. She had me worried for a second though! The female’s abdomen isn’t swollen and she is still eating at a pretty healthy rate, but we’re going to do a check to make sure she isn’t egg bound. Again, thank you for your help!

1 Like

We’re trying to do exactly that as soon and as smoothly and possible. The female’s getting her own terrarium in at most a week, or however long it takes us to set it up. We’re doing a tear down in a day or so to check for a baby. Thank you for your help!

1 Like