Crestie question

why are all of the female crested geckos so expensive in sales?

Price is dictated by what people will pay. If you price it too high no one buys it and the price will come down, but since people are willing to pay more for female cresties the price stays high. It’s that simple.

2 Likes

Supply and demand and females lay eggs so regarless of the species they will always be priced higher than males.

3 Likes

I’ve heard breeders complain that they have too many male hatchlings and am facing the same problem this year. To get a diverse population and track lineage, you need fewer males than you do females. The females store the sperm from the male, so they are essentially set for the egg laying season with one breeding. 1 male could impregnate several females.

1 Like

Females also have to be a higher in weight than males when breeding, and in general do get bigger (weight wise) so people want a bigger gecko usually.
Depends on the morph also though in my opinion. I have a Male I’ve been offered 800 for, he’s fathered a lot of babies and still is and because of lineage I’ve been offered silly money for him. Always a no though, also been offered silly amounts for his son and a female also of mine who’s breeding this year.
We have 7 males breeding this year and 9/10 females. All with different lineages, but luckily I know them all of the top of my head :sweat_smile:
With males also they can go to multiple females so you would think they’d be worth more! I’ve found in certain morphs they do go for more though.
I have the problem of too many females right now! So far I have females everywhere and a few unsexed as of now! Hoping males from a certain pairing but somehow I doubt will go my way :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

2 Likes

I have purchased most of my Cresties from young age with the hope of getting females but majority of them are males.

Un-sexed Cresties are cheaper.

I wanted my Lilly White to be a male which I paid higher price for him so that I knew the sex rather than un-sexed.

Not all females are more expensive, it depends on the morph and lineage