Crestie with brain outside it’s head (blurred, not for faint hearted, gory)

The images are being blurred so unless you don’t mind ‘gory’ images. Please don’t click. We have a hatchling here, now named Frankenstein. Now an hour and 25 mins old and he/she is deformed as you can see with his/her brain outside it’s head. Tried biting me already and been walking about. Still very much alive. Don’t hold hope for him/her surviving but if by miracle he/she makes it through the night I will be setting up an enclosure with higher humidity for him/her. Currently on it’s on tub, keeping moist, so if he/her we’re to roll then it’s brain won’t stick to the paper towel! (Horrible to think about I know!!)

Awhhhh :pensive: :face_with_head_bandage: poor little guy. You don’t think it’s in pain?

2 Likes

My heart hurts for the little one. Wish I could hug it :broken_heart:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s in pain, tried telling me off for moving it and still walking slightly.
We were thinking of putting it to sleep. It’s a hard situation not knowing the quality of life! Never had one like this hatch so was a shock!
If it lives and will eat on its own I think it will have a chance, but honestly I’m keeping in my head it won’t make the night as saves me being upset tomorrow…
The other hatchling is perfectly fine too!..

5 Likes

Awh, prayers for the babe. :heart:

6 Likes

This is horrible! I feel so bad for this baby. My heart breaks for animals that aren’t healthy. My prayers are coming his/her way and also for you; that you make the right choice.

6 Likes

It’s gutting, I feel so sorry for him, I open his tub and he just looks at me… :pensive:
We have had to put 15 of our Koi to sleep today. They have a ‘disease’ so rare that basically there’s nothing known about it and no cure for them. It Just spreads and slowly kills them all. ‘Dermocystidium’ it’s called. We’ve even spoke to the woman who found it but even she said it’s so rare nothing still is known really to this day. We are hoping the remaining 6 with no marks on them are ok.
First Red, then the Koi and now this little one. Hoping for no more bad luck as I’ve had enough of it now :sob:

6 Likes

My heart :sob: I’m so sorry.

4 Likes

Oh no! That’s horrible! Will definitely be praying for you and the little one.

5 Likes

Because I don’t see a skin layer covering the brain (just dura matter), I don’t think there’s any realistic chance of survival. However, sometimes completely inexplicable, positive outcomes happen. While you are observing & making a decision, definitely keep him in a sterile environment that is dampened just as you describe.

8 Likes

Poor lil Bebe :sob: I think it’s just a rare occurrence, but I will ask anyway… Is it a new pairing? Only asking as they just might not be compatible. Like I said I think it’s a one off, but it’s something to keep in mind for the other clutches if so.

I find bad times usually come in 3 so hopefully your luck is changing!

Hope the lil one pulls through :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Update on the wee babe?

2 Likes

Just passed… :pensive:

8 Likes

It is alright you tried to make him as comfortable as possible when he was here :cry:

3 Likes

As sad as it is there was nothing you could do. Let’s hope this doesn’t happen again any time soon. :cry:

4 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss :pensive:

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss, let’s hope your luck turns around :crossed_fingers:

It might of been in pain, so this may of been the best thing for it :sob: still sad though

5 Likes

It’s very sad, but I’m starting to think Harold isn’t ok to breed. This is the 3rd clutch with problems! He was paired once with Lilo and once with Hetty (unfortunately no longer with us)
First eggs from Lilo hatched and one died inside the egg. First clutch with Hetty (posted the little one up the other day) As you saw I posted 1 up. The other had pipped and had its nose out but was dead. And then this clutch which is 2nd from Lilo. And this poor little one ended up like this. And today it’s sibling died.
There’s more eggs from Lilo that are fertile, so will see if any more problems with them too. But Harold can’t be bred and luckily was only paired to the 2 girls once.

7 Likes

Oh dear, I hope the other eggs make it :crossed_fingers:

Would love an update on them when possible… If you are happy to share that is.

It’s horrible to hear, but at the same time it’s good to know about these things :flushed:

OMG I would probably cry for days if they were my geckos

2 Likes

Happy to update once they hatch!
I suppose you don’t really hear about a Crestie having problems breeding, So this is new to us also. But 3 clutches? Doesn’t seem like it can be anything else!…

3 Likes