Crocodile Skink

I am primarily hoarding Ball Pythons for breeding right now, but browse lizards occasionally and am constantly awestruck by Crocodile Skinks. It seems like they very rarely get sold but are almost always purchased immediately. Just wondering if there is a reason that they aren’t widely kept/produced or if its just an undeveloped market/underutilized on MorphMarket ?

Because people often look for a pet they can interact with when it comes to lizard and crocodile skins well they don’t fit that bill.

They are not hard to care for but minimum handling is recommended in their case as they do not like being handled.

So granted one does proper research one quickly figures it’s not likely the pet for them, low demand = low number of people working with them.

Supply and demand.

4 Likes

If you can find someone who has a pair available I would snatch them up in a heartbeat. If there was more supply I think demand would skyrocket these little guys are insane!

A big problem is they only lay 1-2 eggs per clutch so they are going to be extremely hard to mass produce but they almost everything else going for them to become very popular. If you had a few of these on your table next to your BPs your traffic at a show would explode!

2 Likes

That statement just convinced me to turn my empty aquarium into a croc skink tank. :smiley:

3 Likes

I am very interested in getting some eventually. Even my dad who is NOT a reptile guy said they looked like they were from How to Train Your Dragon. And they do! I would be very curious to hear how that goes from you to first finding some then going from there.
They don’t really have color morphs, and are reported to be more display type animals than regular handlers but sick base “morph” appearance, fairly simple care, decent activity. I like that they do well in male/female pairs. They supposedly have some level of parental instincts so them eating the eggs is not a concern…don’t get too big. Really a lot of pluses in my opinion I would love to see some people on here get into them and hear how they do.

2 Likes

I’m planning to cohabitate them in my 45 gallon aquarium. I’m also planning to make it bioactive since they like to climb a little bit, almost like bearded dragons in that sense. Normally I wouldn’t have an interest in working with animals that I can’t really handle but these definitely make an exception.

1 Like

They’re certainly unique. If they are more display animals, fine. I do always wonder with less popular animals like these if they can mellow to handling with more breeding/ patient work. Not a ton of people out there working with them.

1 Like

Maybe I’d experiment with that because most are wild caught and haven’t been in captivity for hundreds of generations, maybe if I worked with them specifically and put more work into it I could create morphs or domesticate them :man_shrugging: I think another reason why they aren’t very popular or widely kept is because they are at breeding age at 2 years old and they only live about five, but like you said there aren’t many people working with them so that number might not be totally accurate.

1 Like

It looks like you can get them comfortable enough to be hand fed and be a little more active in their enclosures. That would be enough interaction to make it worth it to me.

2 Likes