Cryptic Gene Reclassification? [DONE]

Has there been any consensus if the cryptic gene in BP’s is codom or recessive? see its still grey in the morphmarket listings. Not really planning on working with it just curious what the community is saying.

1 Like

Cryptic gene peaked my interest Royal Constrictor Designs got amazing examples of this morph. He is selling some now, but then saw and went with a beautiful male bamboo leopard pinstripe pastel. Owner Garrick DeMeyer super professional friendly and knowledgeable.

2 Likes

@t_h_wyman @owalreptiles Any thoughts on this?

Jeremy Smith @ Fireball is requesting Cryptic be reclassified from “unknown” on MorphMarket to recessive. He said he and many others have proven this.

I need some confirmation here, thanks.

4 Likes

Yes, the evidence points to Cryptic being a simple recessive trait that is allelic with Clown similar to Toffee and Albino. A “Het Clown Het Cryptic” presents visually as a “Crypton”.

4 Likes

@john,

Based on the back work Billy at Mutation Creations did and then looking at the results from a few others I am in agreement that Cryptic looks to be allelic to Clown and is recessive

9 Likes

We will reclassify it during our gene update in October. Thanks!

4 Likes

Okay another question for confirmation:

I’m told:

1. Cryptic is allelic with Clown
  2. Het Cryptic + Het Clown = Crypton
6 Likes

Yes that is correct. Crypton = Het Clown + Het Cryptic.

4 Likes

Basically, you are looking at a Albino/Candino/Candy scenario: Clown/Crypton/Cryptic

4 Likes

This is done. And I have reclassified all ~200 ads according to cryptic, het cryptic, 50%, 66%, crypton, etc.

4 Likes

But have you updated the calculator for Crypton so it does not bork up the same way Candino does??

2 Likes

The site (and calculator) have been updated with the understanding of the crypton complex, so that will work to the extent which the calculator supports it.

But any existing bugs with visual hets will also occur here. A general fix is required.

2 Likes