Crystal baker line -NOCO line

Hi can anyone show the comparisons of the Baker - noco lines of the crystal please .
Baker to me seems to have a broader pattern while the noco seem more colourful

2 Likes

They are both special gene lines crystal is a compound heterozygous form of Mojave and special. so any variances you see are going to be polygenic. So it will all depend on what each individual breeder is holding back for. So unless you are buying from the original breeders there will be huge variances.

3 Likes

Not sure about comparisons but this is my special Noco Line i purchased a few months ago if that helps regards Tony

3 Likes

I see … would you say there are any general differences in how baker line is expressed differently to noco line when in crystal?

1 Like

You would have to breed them both to the same line of Mojave to really know. I would say pick out individuals with the special gene you like personally don’t worry about lines so much.

3 Likes

It is my understanding that the supers for NoCo and Baker are consistently different from one another.

Likewise, the TCR line has been consistently reported to produce different supers than Baker.

I do not know anyone that has compared NoCo to TCR

3 Likes

If they were significantly different wouldn’t that be an indication that they are aleic as opposed to line bred trait?

1 Like

(Different from one another )meaning the noco super different to the baker super ? I think there are some general differences in colour and pattern between the two that shows out in the crystal and supers . Obviously the individual Mojave will have a big part to play in it also

I suppose it’s all selective breeding at the end of the day

That is the point I was trying to make, yes.

All three lines were independently imported and proven out, none of them trace back to the same source

2 Likes

Making sure I was on the same page lol makes sense.

2 Likes

I’m really excited about the potential for genetic testing for a number of reasons but not least of all to answer questions about different lines. For example, I believe Dr Hannah Seidel discovered what we call albino is actually two different compatible mutations. Apparently any difference in appearance is too subtle to notice consistently.

So, someday soon we may have a definitive answer as to if perceived differences in lines are actually different mutant alleles or other genes in the lines.

I can confirm this. And the phenotypic difference is not subtle, it is not there at all. She has found the same with Yellowbelly as well; two different mutations that give the same phenotype.

I have spoken about the likelihood of this for both of those mutations (and a few others) so it was not a huge surprise to me.

3 Likes