Curious about how you house large numbers

I’m mainly a Boa guy. With that said I’m sitting at 4 crested geckos with 4 eggs incubating. I have the adults in exo terra terrariums, and the babies in critter keepers. I was wondering how those with large numbers of crested geckos have yours set up. I have some ideas for diy enclosures but wanted to see what others are using first.

2 Likes

I have males in 45x45x60 exos, females in 60x45x60 exos. Usually 2-3 per exo.
And babies in songmic enclosures, you can get these on Amazon. Each clutch goes into one and obviously as they grow they get moved into exos if staying or on to find new homes!

3 Likes

Those songmics shoe boxes look pretty great. I might have to consider ordering some.

Thanks.

3 Likes

I also use these baby enclosures.

They are great, my only downfall is they are not hard plastic so not always easy to move. But then I don’t have a need to move them much.

1 Like

Oh, I move mine daily :joy:
I move them off the top of the rack etc to mist easier and feed so…. Then again when snakes are moved only the top ones will need lifting off. Atm it’s a bit hectic outside… :grin:

1 Like

I find the sides move too much when I move them. I still move them but I just find I have to be more careful with them then I would a rub or something.

I’d still recommend them

2 Likes

I use tubs and racks for all my geckos.
For me it is the most efficient use of space.

1 Like

I have a mix of tubs and glass front opening arboreal. But, my fiance is into wood working. Weve built several terrestrial 4x2x2 cages and we’re soon going to make custom arboreal cages to move my animals into.

2 Likes

For me, front opening was a huge factor. It is so much more time consuming to have to move every enclosure plus if they are front opening they can be stacked

2 Likes

Wait… can i see your stacked front openings? Are they exo tera, or the other brand im blanking on right now?

3 Likes

I’m taking about the somngmics shoe boxes for stacking.

I use exo terras for the grown ups as they allow for UV lighting and I have them in a rack so I don’t stack the exo terras

4 Likes

Songmic on Amazon. Have a gander as for babies they’re amazing!
I’ve gotten a lot of breeders on to them now :sweat_smile::black_heart:

4 Likes

Yeah, you definitely advocate for them :joy:

2 Likes

I got the shoe boxes on Amazon for my little ones. Only issue is the hole in the front that you open it with

was a llttle big for the babies to escape but nothing a little tape cant fix.

3 Likes

I use those same shoeboxes, but vertical, I think they benefit more from the climbing of having them vertical. Also, be careful with tape, I covered a similar hole in mine with foam and glue. Tape can start to peel off and hurt the gecko, especially in high humidity environments.

4 Likes

@erie-herps I never thought to do them vertically, ill have to look into that when I get home tonight. As far as the hole, did you just cut a circular piece and glue it inside the hole?

4 Likes

^What kind of lighting do you use for those shoeboxes?

3 Likes

Unfortunately you can’t use lighting with these boxes

3 Likes

^Don’t the young cresties need lighting, like uvb or just day and night cycle?

3 Likes

Some people believe they need uv, others do not agree with this.

I have kept some with UV (in glass enclosure) and some without. But I have seen no difference so far. As long as the right supplements are given, I currently don’t believe UV is required.

I do use UV for my breeders though.

UV must not be used with plastic

4 Likes