*Cute Baby Alert* Redfoot tortoises are hatching!

Do you have trouble keeping them in the outdoor pen? Do they burrow? What about predators? Just curious, I think out here I would be crazy worried about coyotes, or maybe just the dog…

1 Like

No trouble at all and we are far out into the sticks. We’ve kept them outdoor 24/7 from April to September, and sometimes from March to October depending on temps. We have tons of critters around, but also plenty of other food opportunities to go with them.

Redfoots don’t burrow so there is minimal risk of escape as long as enclosure walls are tall enough.

1 Like

That’s really neat. I didn’t realize they didn’t burrow. I always thought all tortoises did to some degree.

Cool! More knowledge! :nerd_face::+1:

So, I’m learning there are different locales of Redfoot Tortoise, for example Grenada Island, and I was wondering, what are these? Brazilian Cherry Heads or? I have more questions after this, @osbornereptiles , I just wanted to lead with this.

1 Like

We have 6 Northern Redfoots and a pair of Brazilian Cherry heads. I haven’t researched Grenada locale because I’ve never seen it available in the hobby through casual searches.

There are actually Albino and Hypo Redfoot morphs but they come with a HEFTY price.

3 Likes