Cute Tiny Dragon Snakes!

If you’re feeling down, know that this cute little Dragon Snake is here to help cheer you up! We added some more of these awesome guys to the family, including some that are the smallest/youngest we’ve had the chance to keep and study. As with the rest of our group, these little fellas are wild caught since viable CB offspring has yet to be produced – but this season we are putting a majority of our focus on breeding Dragon Snakes. :blush: I’ve been busy studying, observing, charting, documenting, preparing, etc. and this season will be 100% dedicated to breeding our Dragon Snakes. Believe it or not, hatchlings are even smaller than this! Hatchling heads are about the size of a pinhead, it’s crazy.

I would estimate this little guy to be about 6 months old. I’ve only ever kept ones that were at least around a year old or older because, well, I can’t imagine these little guys are easy to find! I have a couple others that are even smaller – probably only 3-4 months old, maybe even younger. It makes me wonder if perhaps the exporter came across a den of them (similar to how some Rattlesnake species gather in dens). I plan to study Dragon Snakes in the actual field within the next couple years. There is just so much to learn, so many questions to find the answers to! I just love this species. Nature is the most beautiful artist.:snake:

60 Likes

I really hope you’re successful with these guys!

!How would you feed hatchlings? Tadpoles?

7 Likes

Yes, the plan is to try tadpoles and young guppies to start :blush: It will be interesting to work with CB babies and find what they prefer to eat.

10 Likes

That’s really interesting! Well, I wish you luck on your next season! I really really hope you’re able to produce CB babies

10 Likes

Soooo cute! (Love the subtle logo placement as well!)

8 Likes

Another photo with a little more perspective showing how small they are – and again, this fella is estimated to be about 6 months old. They hatch out even smaller!

31 Likes

I totally thought it was a hatchling after that post from months ago saying a girl you had was possibly gravid :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Wow so small! Your dedication to the species is admirable. I love seeing the passion you have in not only learning about them but finding the key to producing cbb babies. Crossing my fingers this will be the year!

7 Likes

Wait… Tadpoles?

Whaaat?? I didn’t know that these had a tadpole stage. Please, elaborate.

2 Likes

I believe it was meant that tadpoles would potentially be used as feeders. Not that the snake itself has a tadpole stage.

9 Likes

That’s just about the cutest little thing I’ve seen in a month of Sundays! I am hoping this is the year you hatch the first CBB dragon snakes. Thank you for sharing. I needed that.

5 Likes

What they meant is they were wondering if @creaturesofnightshade would feed the snakes tadpoles.

7 Likes

How big do these guys get?

6 Likes

As others stated, these guys would eat tadpoles, not that they have a tadpole stage (although that would be incredibly interesting :face_with_monocle:)

9 Likes

Females reach a whopping 2 1/2 ft. :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Do you think that dart frogs/dart frog tadpoles could be a good option for feeding dragon snakes? I know some dart frogs constantly produce babies once they start breeding, just thinking that dart frogs may be an easier option than getting a hold of/producing tree frogs/their tadpoles.

4 Likes

Oh wow, that little one is freaking adorable. I love these guys. They have such a unique look and have the cutest little puppy dog faces. I really hope you’re successful in breeding them! It would be so amazing to get a captive-bred population of dragon snakes going. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you and your precious dragon snakes!

7 Likes

It’s ironic that you mention this – just yesterday evening I got in touch with a gal who works with dart frogs as I discovered that others have been feeding Dragon Snakes dart frogs with success. The gal mentioned that Santa Isabel dart frogs (Epipedobates anthonyi) in particular breed in rapid succession and I am now researching the species with future plans in keeping a colony of them as feeders. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

That snake is super cute! They are a lot smaller than I expected. Hopefully you’ll be able to produce eggs and then hatchlings!

3 Likes

Wow this species is AMAZING! I wish you luck in your research.

Keep us updated. I’d love to own one of these one day

5 Likes