Dart frog options

Hi guys,
I’ve set up this exoterra 60x45x60 terrarium, it’s bioactive and I was just wondering what type of dart frogs you guys recommend and how many I could keep. This is my first time keeping dart frogs as well.
Thanks a lot,
Tom

4 Likes

Hi @tomg0828 Tom! That looks a great set up! I am not a frog expert so others will be able to help you but I just wanted to compliment you on your handiwork! Can’t wait to see what you put into it! :blush:

3 Likes

Looks like a nice setup. I would suggest adding a thick layer of leaf litter, frogs do best with that. Given that you don’t have a background, I’d stick to a single pair of leucomelas or auratus, or perhaps a trio of E. anthonyi. Mixing darts isn’t generally recommended, especially not for beginners.

3 Likes

Great looking enclosure! Dart frogs are one of the only groups that I know next to nothing about unfortunately so I can’t give you any advice on them. I would keep an eye on the snake plants as they usually do better in more arid setups but you still most likely won’t have any issues.

2 Likes

One more question - do you recommend using uv?

3 Likes

I’m not a dart frog expert (maybe ask on dendroboard if you want the best advice) but I’d suggest giving them some. As long as it isn’t too bright or overheating them, it can’t really hurt.

2 Likes

I would definitely recommend Uv lighting. For the Frogs and for the plants.