Dear people of MorphMarket…I need your help

I have a cat.

And my bedroom is full of reptile tanks.

My cat is unbelievably clingy…she can’t go a night without being with me.

But she enjoys sitting on the terrariums at night. I can’t seem to break her of the habit.

She has become a nuisance…I can’t sleep a full night because I have to constantly remove her from the tanks.

She stresses my animals out, and makes a lot of noise.

The cat HAS to stay in my bedroom because if not she will destroy the door trying to get in…and I can’t remove the tanks either.

Does anybody have a solution? Thank you.

Here is the cat:

6 Likes

Awww. Cute kitty. I guess there are exceptions, but most cats don’t like walking on aluminum foil. You could try putting sheets of it over the tanks the cat climbs on. Good luck!

5 Likes

I also believe that lemons/citrus keeps cats away because they don’t like the smell. Not sure if it would also harm any of the animals in the terrarium though.

4 Likes

Double sided tape or giant loops of packing tape stuck to the top frames of the tanks worked for me years ago when I was dealing with a very curious cat.

4 Likes

I used strips of masking tape, sticky side up, on my kitchen countertops to teach my cat a lesson. It only took a day or two before the cat learned to stay away.

4 Likes

A pet warming pad on a stand or shelf at height- so the tanks are less tempting. (I have a weenie dog who has a few warming pads of her own and she adores them)

And the seconding the double sided tape on the tank tops.

Make her a place or two you DO want her to sit in when you are in there together and reward her when she uses it (pets, a lil treat, whatever she loves best)
this can teach her to sleep on a heated bed on the end of your bed, instead of sitting on the nice warm terrariums. Cats love to do things Together. They love a good We activity. Sharing the bed in that way will appeal to her if she has her own warm spot on it.

Also, wearing her out with more exercise during the day will make her more inclined to sleep at night when you do.

6 Likes

I have the same problem, except with two cats. I just piled a bunch of stuff on top of the enclosure they liked to sit on, so there’s no longer a flat surface for them to jump or perch on. Not the most attractive option, but it’s worked for me.

But the double sided tape suggested by others is probably going to be less of an eyesore. :joy:

4 Likes

Thank you all so much!!! I took your advice and laid aluminum foil on the top of each tanks…the cat jumped to the tank and upon landing on it immediately sprung off!! Right now she is trying to figure out how to sit on top without setting off the noise :rofl: thanks guys!

5 Likes

Glad the foil is working!

I love my cats to pieces, but they can make it a bit more complicated to keep other animals. I got pretty lucky with my kitties in that they don’t show a ton of interest in my snakes, spiders, or chinchilla…but they do like to get up on top of the snake enclosures. One enclosure in particular. And like your cat, I can’t just keep them out of my room. They’ll come completely unglued and become very destructive and loud if they can’t be in my room with me, especially at night.

Maybe I’ll try the foil trick one of these days.

4 Likes