Deep Heat Projector vs Heat Panel

Hi everyone, I was wondering what would be better for heating a 4x2x2 PVC enclosure - a deep heat projector or a radiant heat panel? I’m currently using a deep heat projector on a smaller enclosure and it’s working well, but I’m worried it won’t be as effective for a larger setup, since it’s a more focused heat source. Does anyone here have experience either with heat panels or a deep heat projector in a larger enclosure? Thanks!

3 Likes

I’ve used a UTH pad as a heat source in a large glass aquarium converted for a corn snake. It was about 4’ x 1.5’ x 2’. It worked just fine. I haven’t used radiant heat panels or DHPs, though. I don’t know how useful my experience is here; it doesn’t really address what you’re asking. I am interested to read others thoughts on this question.

2 Likes

My Boaphile pvc enclosures came with under tank heaters included. The Bean Farm has a lot of the same type heaters ready to plug in and go. They are made of heat tape material, very thin. I have purchased quite a few of these in different sizes and shapes…. Imo they work great!

2 Likes

I would recommend halogens, they have the same benefits as DHPs, the added UVA is beneficial to reptiles, and they heat super well usually. A flood-type would create a fairly wide beam.

4 Likes

I use a DHP and an UTH for my 4’x2’x18" enclosure, and it works well. The two combined provide enough ambient heat in my experience. But if you’d rather use just a single heating element, then a heat panel might work better.

4 Likes

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I didn’t know you could use under-tank heat with a PVC enclosure. Looks like I have even more options to research. I don’t need to upgrade anytime soon, but it doesn’t hurt to look around and prepare. And maybe I can catch a Black Friday/holiday sale!

4 Likes

Don’t you just love this community? Everyone tries to help each other without criticism! There is so much experience and knowledge to share!

You are wise to be thinking ahead as well! :pray::blush::heart:

3 Likes