Digestion: regurgitation vs spitting back out

The problem is it’s not the same thing or caused by the same things as a regurge within a few hours of feeding. Or with one of these fur clumps 4 days later or whatever. There’s a good article on vomiting vs regurgitation but it really just scratches the surface.

Basically we shouldn’t call everything a regurge because there can be such different reasons problems etc. it’s kind of over simplifying. I’m sure I’m missing a lot that a biologist could fill in but there’s more to it than just a blanket statement that everything is the same regurge and requires the same reaction

@stewart_reptiles ok thanks for splitting this I hope we get some more folks to weigh in.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/The-Vet-Report-Reptile-Vomiting-and-Regurgitation/

This is pretty basic level doesn’t get very specific but I think this is the start down the path to be a little more precise with a “regurge” vs a “regurge”

1 Like

I think people are smart enough to use proper terms and know the difference between spitting back out which is done immediately after the meal and usually result from a prey to big or the animal being startled and regurgitation, regurgitation is when the digestion process as already been started and can be due to stress, prey size, internal parasites, improper tempertures, other underlying health factors.

And the concern should be focused when a partially digested prey is found regarless of what you want to call it, it can be nothing just like it can be very concerning.

People aren’t even smart enough to keep a lid on their enclosures or to thaw prey out before feeding sometimes so you’re giving them a LOT of credit.

Regurge is the only term people seem to use. There is a wide array of instances where it can be a different function.

Well I would rather focus on the issue when somone ask a question than dwell on the terminology, based on the description I can tell the two apart when it come to digestion.

There are a lot of misused terms in this hobby (ghost, dominant, sperm plug, pregnant etc) you can spend time on the terms or time helping with the issue and go a long with terms you know have been used wrong for decades

1 Like

You are inferring that using correct terminology is ignoring the issue which is not true.

Both addressing the issue and using correct terminology is very possible. (In this instance specifically. I totally agree there’s many instances where it’s not worth the time.)

I don’t find telling someone that a regurge is a regurge is a regurge whether it’s 2 or 96 hours after feeding is really focusing on their “issue.” I think even for my sake I’d like to know a little more about the differences and I’m sure many others would as well!

So basically what i gleemed from the article is there a difference in regurge which where you animal doesn’t or only begins to digest the meal and for one reason or anythere expells it from there body. Typically do to stress induced or inaccurate temps to allow for proper digestion.

The other “vomiting” is where the food as been digested enough to start to move into the lower tract of the digestive tract and from reasons of viral/bactrial infection or some other genetic issue is unable to expell the food item thru the lower digest tract ie: cloaca it " regurgitates" it .

i hope this make some kind of sense. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

That’s about what I got too. I wonder if there’s some more in depth analysis out there somewhere.

Still wonder as well those occasional clumps of fur which they count as and how concerning they are. I’ve never seen a fresh regurge of essentially a partly digested whole prey item but I have seen those little fur “casts” on rare occasions.