DIY enclosure build HELP!

Hi I’m need your guys help I’m makes a plywood DIY now I need a safe reptile sealer to use for water proofing it I seen where people use dryLock inside the enclosure but is this safe ? I love my Burmese and I don’t want NOTHING to happen to her but I want her to have a nice big enclosure please give me your guys feed back from experience or from knowledge thanks everyone

5 Likes

There are lots of things that can be safely used. It also depends on your heat source and how long it will take to “out gas” to be safe for a reptile. I have heard dry lock is fine, also water proofing polyurethane sealers/stains, even exterior paint can be relatively safe. I would not try to use a under type or heat lamp heat source for any of these, instead use the radiant heat panels that you attach to the top of the enclosure on one side and/or keep your reptile room at a constant temperature. Also for any of these types of sealers I would let sit for around 4-5 days min.-preferably more- to completely cure then still use a aquarium grade silicone caulking on all corners and seams, for sure the bottom where liquids can get in between the seams. Then let dry again for several days. The outside you can stain/paint as you wish as long as it is completely dry as well. For a completely safe alternative to all, I have heard a fish safe aquarium/pond water sealer paint is available but very expensive. Good luck, looks nice so far!

3 Likes

So you wouldn’t recommend having a heat lamp for heat? With dryLock? But instead a heat panel

1 Like

What if I use a ceramic heat element that’s will be 4 foot up

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t advise you on the construction of your burm’s enclosure but I can can give you a thumbs up for your endeavor! I bet your snake will love it! :+1::blush::snake::sunglasses:

2 Likes

You can use ceramic or heat lamps, I would prefer the radiant heat panels. Safer, more controllable and less heat probably on the top of the enclosure. If you do use any kind of bulb/ceramic heat make sure it is not able to come into contact with the python, need a good cage around it if it is inside the enclosure. If you are going to cut out a hole and set it on top of wire mesh on the enclosure make sure you tie it down so it can’t fall or move in any way. I have heard and seen the results of heat bulb fires-no good! Always make sure any heat source is on thermostat.

1 Like