Do people buy high end morphs often?

Hello, so while looking around at snakes that have been sold on morphmarket I was just wondering how many of you either bought or sold a high end designer morph? I just ask because I have some dreamsicles that I was considering selling and wanted to get a idea If they would sell or not. And I am not a seller on here Im just a hobbyist who breeds for fun. Thanks for any input!

Depends what you consider high end some people consider some animal $500 to be high end, I would say for me personally high end start in the $2500. A lot has to do with personal budget and what one might find expensive for an animal, also depends if they look at the animal as a pet or future breeder.

I had people buying $1500 pet snakes they had no intention to breed.

Pied or any Double Recessive animal have no issue selling now sometime you have to be patient but it does sell.

10 Likes

Thank you for the response and the insight! Your reply was spot on and I appreciate you answering! I would have just thought that if I posted them on morphmarket they would just sit there and IF I was lucky they just maybe would have been sold.

1 Like

They might sit there but as Deb said, you have to be patient. If you have a fair market value and can’t sell it then it may just be a situation of “low liquidity” – ie few buyers looking for that. In that case waiting is better than lowering the price, because it will just take time for buyers to materialize.

3 Likes

I do buy 3 gene morphs or more but depending on the mix . I personally love pieds and axantics.

But I still new to ball pythons ( 2years) but in that time I have collected over 70 snakes.

1 Like

Browsing “sold” animals on morph market is a decent way to judge how things are moving. Some sellers remove the ad instead of marking it sold which skews things a bit but you can get some idea. It looks like 10 or so 2019 dreamsicles are listed as sold thus far. I wouldn’t expect them to fly off the shelf but you have a good shot if you take good photos and price appropriately. https://www.morphmarket.com/us/search?cat=2&max_price=&maturity=0&store=&page=1&sex=&min_genes=0&layout=list&epoch=1&max_genes=9&traits=Piebald%2CLavender&cur=USD&sort=nfs&min_price=&q=&country=&neg_traits=

2 Likes

I would say go for it. I love the look of dreamsicles, and I know a lot of others do to. Sometimes the price is what can stop people, but I currently see a lot of breeders offer a payment plan type thing. That might be something you can offer (if you want) if you price your snakes higher than what some might pay. I also think good photos make all the difference. The better quality of photos you have the more likely you’re going to sell. Good luck!

2 Likes

Has a lot to do with what your starting budget is. If you have other investors, or a money tree in your yard, high end could mean in the thousands. But, if you’re on a fixed budget and doing it on your own, it could mean in the few to couple hundreds. Then again, its possible to use two low ends, and make your own high ends.

2 Likes

Do high dollar animals sell? Yes. Do they sell quickly? Generally, not so much.

So the question you have to ask yourself is, are you okay having the animal sit in your rack for months while you have it listed? Or do you need to move them out in a more timely manner?

2 Likes

Yeah I started off on a low budget for my animals and I stock piled on hets and its paid off

Just curious what do you mean by high end. To some breeders that 15,000 to others its 2,000.

1 Like

That’s kinda what I’m doing. Getting a couple of visuals in the mix though.

To me personally i say that high end starts at $2k and up

All depends on what people consider high end , for me £500 is my higher end of my limit but with the snakes I have I could make some that are worth £1000… I would offer payment plans over a good few months because everyones budget is different.

Think about this , if you have the space to keep for a while , A snake only costs £1 or £2 a week to feed… don’t be in a rush to lower and lower the price… someone will buy it.

Ewan

3 Likes

For me 1k is where I start to consider an animal high end. I have no problem purchasing an animal around the 1k mark. I won’t spend more than 1200 though. That’s my limit on an animal, and it needs to be something amazing in the recessive game. I would never spend that amount on something not recessive.

3 Likes

As far as recessive gene morphs go (with colubrids) I spent 8k on a pair of Palmetto Corn babies, 10k on a group of “Joker” California Kingsnake adults, and 17k on a baby femLe Leucistic western hognose.
In the few years I had with each project I more than quadrupled my investments… and the Jokers werent recessive and I never produced any het or leucistic hognose. Still made plenty of money. Most of what I aim to produce now is $500-$1000 each, because if you dont have high end stuff how do you even make ends meet?

1 Like

Wow that’s a pretty huge investment for snakes. May I ask what you do to afford to drop 35k on snakes? Most I would be able to pay for a snake is 15 hundred.

1 Like

Nathan from my own personal experience I would easily drop $5k to $10k on a snake if I believe in the long run I would earn my invest back. If I am willing to drop a couple grand on a dog, I’d be willing to drop a couple grand on a snake that I plan on breeding in the future.

3 Likes

Yeah makes sense. I would drop 10k (if I could afford to) if that means I’d make my money back.

Those are only a few of the many investments Ive made, Ive had a lot of projects not pan out or animals die or get sold before producing. My more pricey investments were possible thanks to the demand for albino turtles from 2014-2017, from which I made enough to stop working at pizza hut, and Ive only made reptile money ever since.

1 Like