Do you see anything more than Pied?

I bought him last month. Dont have any history on him. I was thinking maybe he has something more then pied like enchi, fire or Yellowbelly. His colors are really bright. TIA

6 Likes

Definitely not enchi. Just looks like a nice pied to me. @banereptiles

8 Likes

Okay Thank you! On another group someone said enchi so I wasn’t sure.

5 Likes

Kinda looks like a pastel pied with all those light edges around the spots of pattern. With pieds it can be hard, not just because of lack of pattern but the pied gene is so variable itself. I also find headstamps to be off with pieds, like some pastels do not have any at all, but a lot of just pied might, can throw you off when looking for little clues! I wouldn’t think Enchi and yellow bellies are usually more pixelated and orange around the side areas with pattern. So I would say a pastel, pied or @logar could very well be right and it is just a very nice pied!:+1:

6 Likes

My inexperienced guess would be pastel pied, but as @banereptiles (who is such a great, knowledgeable source of information here) mentioned, even single-gene pieds have a lot of variability in looks. Here’s my girl Sol, who was sold to me as single gene pied. I really don’t even know for certain that she is just pied but it didn’t really matter when I bought her because I had no plans to breed her. I mean, I did eventually notice listings of enchi pieds and leopard pieds that made me wonder if she had one of those other genes too.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @rachaell Rachael! That my dear is a very nice/pretty ball python! :+1::blush:

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I have 2 other balls that I’ve had for over a year since they werelittle babies. And then I took in this guy cause he was really underweight and wasn’t eating for the previous owner. Now he has eaten every time for me and gained weight. We are so happy he’s doing better!

4 Likes

Where are my manners?! @caron thank you for picking up on my slack in welcoming @rachaell to the community! Rachaell I am glad you’re here and that you found us reptile/animal lovers. You’ll gain knowledge, tips & tricks and interact with a really awesome hodgepodge of incredible, helpful and respectful people if you stick around in our forum! We all love when you share photos, too!
Thank you so much for rescuing this handsome little dude. He looks great. It’s such a good feeling when you see what a huge improvement a rescued animal has made since you took them in.
What’s your boy’s name?
Feel free to share any photos of your other 2 if you like!

4 Likes

That is so wonderful to hear and God bless you for rescuing him! :pray::heart:

4 Likes

It was October when we got him and so my daughter named him Spooky :smiley: we were told he was 4 months but when I got him home he only weighed 66 grams. You could see his spine and his skin was really wrinkly like he was dehydrated. The previous owners bought him from petco and was given all the wrong information on how to care for him. They had him in a cage with one open hide with no clutter temp was only 80 degrees and his humidity in the 40s. Hes already had a complete shed with me so that made us feel better! It has been worrisome yet rewarding! Thank you so much for all the kind responses. I’m on some pages on Facebook and some people are very rude there.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @rachaell! Pieds can vary so greatly with just single gene expressions, it can almost make it seem like there is something else. Getting an animal from someone who picked it up from a store without proper care can be a very long journey (one I know as well), but it looks like you are taking excellent care of him! If you have any questions about any husbandry or whatever else you might want to know you’ll always find helpful and positive people here on the forums :smiley:

If you’re ever interested in seeing if he has anything else in him at all, I suggest running a full panel test on genetics for him with RGI. You can find all the information for that here.

4 Likes

These are my other two snakes. I purchased them from Wilbanks, but its actually a funny story. I only had intentions of buying one male for my daughter. I had him shipped to my house and when we opened up the box it was the wrong snake. I messaged the people at wilbanks and they said the sku numbers were one digit off and someone grabbed the wrong snake (female). So they let me keep the female for free and sent me the male I originally purchased.
The Female is Allie and she is a Pastel Het Clown
The Male is Guy and he is a Pastel Butter Enchi Het Clown
So the really cool thing is they are both Het Clown, for if I ever decide to breed them. So yes we only had intentions of having one snake for one of my daughters and here we are 3 snakes later! But we love them all and I’m so happy things worked out the way they did.

7 Likes

Thank you! He does look so much better just in a months time. But when I got him I was feeding him every 5 days and now that he is over 100 grams I moved him to every 7 so it didnt take him long to start putting on the weight. He hasn’t ever refused once.

I am definitely seeing that pieds come with such a variety. I honestly dont know how anyone can tell if there ar other genes. Its just his vibrant orange was throwing me off.

If I ever decide to breed, I might do a panel, just so I would know the for sure genes and what I should pair him with.

5 Likes

@rachaell You know that saying “you can’t have just 1”? Well…totally applies :laughing: And Allie and Guy are a great-looking duo as well! How cool of Wilbanks to let you keep Allie!
And this community is kind of like the opposite of Facebook. You’ll not have people acting crappy or rude here. For me, it’s so nice to feel comfortable to ask questions, even if I think they might be dumb. Because everyone here understands and practices respect, you won’t be ridiculed. Also, the increasingly uncommon idea of agreeing to disagree is actually alive and well here, as it should be. This is my only social media, and I love it. Hope to see more posts from you in the future! :snake:

7 Likes

If you want, it won’t hurt to feed him every 5 days until 300 grams and then move him to 7.
That’s what I do for all of my hatchlings. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

5 or 7 days will work for a while. You could keep this going until you start seeing some skipped meals. At that point I would switch to a 14 day feedings schedule. As they get older, most tend to eat less often. Trying to keep a 7 day feeding (when older) is where most people start saying “they have a picky eater”. You are definitely on the right path.

4 Likes

You are SO right about older Bps and 7 day feedings! I made that mistake with mine for years until I found this forum and the light bulb came on! After some some help here with an older female of mine that had quit eating because I was feeding her, or trying to feed her every 7 days! Now she eats every time only not as often!! :+1::clap::blush:

3 Likes

He was so tiny when I was feedings him every 5 days I swear I could see little rat lumps throughout his body like the snake game with the apples lol. And he pooped a lot! Way more then my other two ever did in a short amount of time. So I was thinking moving him to 7 days would hopefully help get him more regular.

My other two snakes I fed every 7 until about 700 grams and then moved them to 10-11 days. My male is extremely shy and sometimes picky and will skip a meal once in a while, but my female will always eat. She would def eat every 7 if I let her lol but she just now weighed over 1000 grams, so im thinking about moving her to 14 days now so she doesn’t become overweight. Which she will not be happy about. Haha

3 Likes

Thank you for saying that! I don’t want to hijack the thread, but I was struggling to get Noodle to eat at first, and the feeders I got were a little small so we are on every 4 days. Now that I’m out of that size and moving up I thought I’d go to once a week, but he’s only like 112g, so I’ll go to every five for now. Thank you.

3 Likes

Just FYI, since they are both so similar, both het clown and their ID numbers were only one number off - they are probably clutchmates. While you can breed full siblings, and there are times when you have to to get the result you’re looking for, for a morph as relatively common as clown, I wouldn’t.

I have some Wilbanks snakes (probably too many, lol, but they’re so beautiful and I totally cave when they do a sale) and their customer service is, as you’ve found, amazing! So if you ask them if your snakes are clutchmates, they’ll tell you.

4 Likes