Does anyone ever include millipedes in their bioactive setups?

I figure they’re basically just long isopods, right? I’m wondering if they would be okay to put into my crested gecko enclosure.

I doubt it. I know some millipedes can secrete toxic substances in defence. I don’t know much so some species may be safe but I know there are ones that almost certainly aren’t.

2 Likes

Ah, did not know that. Thanks for the info.

No problem. You will have to research if any are safe. Lemme know if there are safe ones…kinda curious.

1 Like

Yeah, just doing a little googling now. Seems like you’re correct. Plus people say it’s really hard to keep them with live plants. And they don’t do well with isopods either because apparently the isopods will nibble on them during molts, and they will eat millipede eggs.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a no.
I use isopods and springtails, you can get all sorts of isopods if you fancied a change though! Large ones also, just make sure you get a colony going first as some may get eaten!

2 Likes

I actually do use millipedes in my snake enclosures. Never had a problem with any of them

But would any of your snakes try to eat a millipede? I’m thinking that might be the main problem of trying to put some in my crested gecko enclosure.

I know my Royals wouldn’t try :sweat_smile:
But geckos would for sure!

I doubt the bredli would and the Calabars and rubbers are pretty single-minded about their diets, but I would not be remotely surprised if the Oligodon or Rhamphiophis tried

1 Like

Oh my gosh, another reason for me to want a calabar! I could stick a couple of millipedes in with them.

I thought about adding millipedes once but decided not to since they can breed fast and could be toxic or an impaction/health risk if eaten. I believe there are a few genuses of millipedes. Only one secretes cyanide as defense, I believe others can secrete different toxins (but I’m not positive). I wouldn’t try it with a crested gecko since if (when) they were eaten they could cause problems, especially if the millipede was poisonous.

2 Likes