Does anyone have Leap habitat reviews or feedback?

I’m contemplating trying out a Leap Habitat enclosure but I’m a little skeptical considering I’m so used to exo terra glass enclosures. I would use it for either one of my cresties or a gargoyle gecko. Does anyone have any helpful reviews or feedback for this brand?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I’m also curious to hear what experiences others have had as I’ve not heard anything yet.

Tell Us Drag Race GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

3 Likes

Frank Payne has reviews on his website, and a review I think on his YouTube page

3 Likes

I’ve been looking at these as well! They seem pretty awesome, especially since I need something lightweight.

3 Likes

I met the designer of these at an expo, of course he was biased towards them, but they still looked very good. They are designed so they can fit perfectly on wire racks. They are much lighter, sturdier, and more durable than typical glass or pvc enclosures. They have an aluminum frame and I believe cardboard or plastic around it. Everything on their website is compatible and provides pretty much everything that you could need. I looked at their care sheets (since it provides good insight into how much thought they put into things) and I was impressed with them. They provided a lot of accurate information, and they were better than most, but they weren’t perfect and still provided a tiny bit of misinformation (like that mealworms are a good food for crested geckos). I really like the enclosures and I will probably end up using them, but I’ve been waiting on them until there’s a bit more information about them from independent sources.

4 Likes

I came across them when I was looking for lightweight snake enclosures. Unfortunately it didn’t look like they currently made the size I needed (I needed something larger), but they looked super nice! I remember being kinda miffed that they only came in smaller sizes, haha.

If I ever need a smaller enclosure in the future for something like frogs or inverts, I’d like to give one of the Leap habitats a try. They seem like a good alternative to something like an ExoTerra, since I hate how heavy glass is.

3 Likes

OK, so I just got their 22"x17"x36" enclosure.
TL;DR - Pros: lightweight, easy to assemble, great accessibility with a fully opening front, 100% humidity and waterproof, fits MOST baker’s racks (more details on that below), good for the price point. Cons: Customer service (more details below), not suitable for strong animals, silicone and expansion foam have trouble sticking to the inside.
You can see pictures of the enclosure and a build reel on my Neon Day gecko’s Instagram: @neon_houdini
The frame is aluminum with a screen top and a 5" screen door at the bottom (3 1/2" x 19 1/2" of screen). Keep in mind by “frame” I mean the top and front. The enclosure itself is corrugated plastic, including the bottom, which attaches to the rest of the enclosure with plastic rivets and there are no frame pieces for the back corners or the bottom. The door is cllear acrylic, VERY thin, clear acrylic. Once it’s all together it’s pretty stable but, honestly, I wouldn’t put any strong animal that might test the enclosure in it. With the bio-active liner installed, it’s working well as a bio active enclosure but be aware that expansion foam in large quantities WILL push the sides out. Also keep in mind that neither silicone nor expansion foam will stick well to the vinyl label that comes already installed to the inside of the enclosure. They claim that the enclosures fit perfectly in a baker’s rack but that was not the case for me, so you need to make sure that the corners of the baker’s rack you’re using are a true 17" or more, not 16" like mine turned out to be. This last issue is my fault, not Leap’s, I didn’t realize that baker’s racks had different style corners, depending on the brand. Now, customer service, they’ve been horrible. The enclosure was packed without the sheet metal screws that secure the top frame and the front brace to the enclosure. I also discovered that one of the nozzle in the misting system I bought from them was only dripping water. I have now been waiting three weeks for the screw replacements and two weeks for the nozzle replacement to be SHIPPED. In conclusion, good enclosure for the price but the old saying holds true, you get what you pay for.

3 Likes