Does anyone know what this is on my ball python?

So ive noticed my lesser pin girls face has always looked strange and different to me then my other snakes. Her eyes seem smaller then average and her snout more flat and duck like. But my main concern this major indenting on top of her nose between her nostrils it looks like a small hole like an extra nostril. Has anyone seen this before? She seems healthy otherwise she eats and poops just fine and heat and humidity levels are on point.

5 Likes

I don’t keep BPs, but I know duckbill & micropthalmia can occur in certain morphs or with incubation issues. That said, I don’t know enough about head conformation to tell you if your animal definitely has those problems, but it does look a bit odd to me. I’ll tag a few of our BP folks.

Hey @ballornothing, @banereptiles, @armiyana, @akmorphs, care to weigh in?

5 Likes

Awwwww! She is a precious girl no matter what! I can’t help you with your question but I am sure you will get some answers!

Best wishes to you and your sweet girl! :pray::heart:

4 Likes

I am not seeing anything too off. Eyes might be smaller then average hard to tell so if so not super noticeable. I am not seeing too much duckbilling either, can we get a pic of the underside of her head, for duckbilling and shark mouth issues it might be easier to see. The indented parts on the head actually remind me of retics that rub, sometimes they apply so much pressure when they rub or do it so much it causes the scales to bump up, fall off, look indented. Retics have much more sensitive scales on their head and I haven’t seen it in ball pythons, so I am kinda stumped there.

4 Likes

I don’t know what I should be looking for or at on the face :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

They can definitely have different facial proportions. I wish I still had the photos comparing two clutchmates I hatched. One had the shorter and broad nose and the other was more pointed. They can have polymorphic structure depending on the parents too, not just from duckbilling genes like Blk pastel or cinny. Or sharkmouth/overbites which can also be an incubation issue. Under bites can happen too.

I did recently have a lesser pastel hatch with small eyes like that as well though which caught me by surprise.

I think the top of her nose is just a matter of her markings making the little corner point between 4 scales look much deeper than it really dips.

I think this is the closest I have in photos with different looking noses on 2 snakes. Color can definitely affect the perception as well. One having a bit broader and shorter of a nose and the other having a more tapered.

5 Likes

Now that you say that i have seen her rubbing her nose in the substrate a few times and thought what is she doing lol

4 Likes

4 Likes

The nose and eyes might be slightly off, as you thought. It is hard to tell with these pictures. If so, it is nothing to worry about. These won’t cause health issues and there is nothing you need to do different or watch for.

The spot on the nose looks normal, from these pictures. I do see what you are talking about, but not seeing a problem.

6 Likes

Ok thank you i just wanted to make sure its nothing to be concerned about

4 Likes