Does my BP have extra heat pits?

I got this girl for my breeding project but I noticed something going on with her chin.
To me, it looks she has some little heat pits. I think she managed to grind some dirt in them too.
I’ve only had her for a week and a half and she’s due to shed any day now and I think that will give me some more information.
What do you think? It doesn’t quite capture in photos.
(Her tail is also so pointy haha)

1 Like

It looks like rub marks to me.

4 Likes

Same, that is what I was thinking. Rub will heal with time and proper husbandry. It doesn’t look bad enough to make a big scar, so it will probably be barley noticeable once it is healed.

4 Likes

I agree with @ballornothing rub marks, since she is about to shed look right after that hopefully they will be smaller/starting to disappear. Maybe put her on paper towels till after she sheds so she doesn’t get dirt or substrate on them, so you can see better.

4 Likes

Just an opinion, probably trust the above members more than me,
But based on visual acuity as opposed to experience, visually, the first picture does not look like rub to me. Rub would not crate concave areas. and the 6 pink concave areas in your picture look like heat pits, and the normal number of heat pits from that face on angle to me.
A side view would give a better way to count the number. (the below is not the best side on view but makes the point as more can be seen)

1 Like

@ascended I believe the OP was talking about the brownish marks underneath. I was a bit confused also, until I focused more on the other pictures.

2 Likes

Ahh I see, thanks. Yes that looks like damage, most likely rub of course as every one is saying, or even old mite damage.
Unfortunately there is not much info on the prior history.

2 Likes

She shed a few days ago and I still think they look like heat pits.

I am no vet, but to me it looks better then it did before. They look cleaner and not as deep. If it is an injury, it will take more then one shed to heal. I would just keep checking it after each Shed and see what happens. Please keep updating us after each Shed.

1 Like

Still looks like an injury to me. They’re not symmetrical and not positioned in the scales the way heat pits are.

2 Likes

As others have said, they are rub marks, common with more active snakes, keep them clean and they will heal. There are balls with actual extra heat pits such as this girl who has 9 instead of 8.

1 Like