Does this study mean there are different types of genetic standard albino?

Do I understand this video about the genetics morph skin tests right?
Does this mean there are different types of standard albino but 2 together can make a visual/super??
Not talking about hypos, banana, candy ect, just straight full albinos with zero melanin.
(Maybe that explains the variation from high contrast to low and maybe pattern differences. That bits just a thought.)
See 9:36

1 Like

I am confused also, maybe @t_h_wyman could explain further.

1 Like

I just got back into breeding and thought a focus on Albinos would be easy as just simple two copies of the same het gene.
If the video is right its not, and the future will have different types of what was a standard zero melanin albino, possibly with different common names too.
If the guys interpretation in the video is true its not as simple as it was a short while ago.

1 Like

I’m not really sure where he’s getting the idea that there can be basically “infinite” albino genes or that you could stack them and have a double visual recessive. That genetics project discovered that there are 3 known alleles of that gene. Albino, candy/toffee (which were proven to be the same), and a 2nd albino. There hasn’t been any noticeable differences between the albino1 and albino2, so at this moment they’re treated as the same morph, even though they are different alleles.

This group discovered the same thing with yellowbelly, so we have 2 different alleles with yellowbelly but they believe that one version is a “full” disruption of the gene while the other is “partial” (source in the comments).

7 Likes

I only watched a short portion of the video but I don’t see what evidence he has to make that claim. The idea that there are multiple mutations that are thought to be the same thing could be true, that’s reasonable. Of course it’s true that there’s also variance in the morphs but that doesn’t mean that you can add as many albinos as you want. You can’t have more than 2 alleles per complex and if he’s claiming that you can have as many kinds of albino on the same allele pair that’s wrong.

5 Likes

@phantom_hatchery + @erie-herps
Thanks Guys.
What you have said was my previous understanding, thanks for reassuring me nothing had changed.
I was just worried if it had changed following the ongoing gene study, based on the person on the videos interpritation.
With respect to him, for a relatively recent entry into the hobbie, he does usually have a lot of good solid information.

3 Likes

Thank you for starting a great discussion! :+1:

I think we are going to see similar results for a lot of traits. These guys have only got though a handful of traits so far and ha e discovered a bunch.

Also, to revive a old thought…

Here is your best place to find confirmed details from the huge progress the BPGP is making.

6 Likes

So if you go to the website they found that what we refer to as just “albino” has two different alleles that make up that morph, both variants in the gene TYR. However these variants are obviously compatible and produce a similar enough pattern and coloration that they’ve been considered the same thing. But it could explain why there are higher/lower contrast “albinos”. What you are seeing (a visual albino) is the visual/super. Candy/toffee is yet another allele in the same gene, also compatible because if you pair it with regular albino you still get a visual (candino).

Hypothetically you could stack albino, candy/toffee and ultramel together together in the same animal because they’re all caused by variants in different genes, but there would be no reason to do so, because they’d just look like albino

he does say things, but I wouldn’t go that far

5 Likes

@eaglereptiles thanks for the links, your advice is wothey in my opinion.
And of course, regarding the below quote. For new information we must look at the median information, but weighted on the experience and quality of where it comes from.
Certainty Not just believing one opinion until we have sufficient evidence. I never just take one opinion, that’s why i asked.
However he has taught me a lot of basics. respect to all that try to further knowledge, but not unconditionally.

@chesterhf

That was my feeling as I indicated in the first post. its interesting and so I wanted to study more.
Again, hence my opening post.

Regarding the candy and candinoes etc and the rest in the video, there was no controversy I could see, it was just the claims about full zero melanin albinos i questioned.

What I am saying basically Is I weight discussion here from all you guys more than any one video.

2 Likes

No, not really. It just means that they discovered what I already knew based on many decades of genetics in other species.

Think of a gene as a set of IKEA instructions. You open the box, dump everything out, find the instructions, read them start to finish, follow them step-by-step, and end up with a piece of furniture.

But let us make this more like a real genetics situation. You pick up two of these pieces of furniture from IKEA.

First scenario:
You open the first box. you dump everything out, there are no instructions!!!

No problem, you open the second box, dump everything out, find the instructions, read them start to finish, follow them step-by-step, and end up with two complete pieces of furniture.

Second scenario:
You open the first box. you dump everything out, find the instructions, but the instructions are missing the last three pages…

No problem, you open the second box, dump everything out, find the instructions, read them start to finish, follow them step-by-step, and end up with two complete pieces of furniture.

Third scenario, part A:
You open the first box. you dump everything out, find the instructions, but the instructions are missing the last three pages…

No problem, you open the second box, dump everything out, find the instructions, but the instructions are missing the last three pages…

Third scenario, part B:

No problem, you open the second box, dump everything out, there are no instructions!!!

Third scenario, part C:

No problem, you open the second box, dump everything out, find the instructions, but the instructions are missing the last three pages…

UH-OH! Regardless of which combination you end up with, it looks like you are not going to be able to build the furniture

This is what is happening with the Albino alleles that Hannah has found. And, as I noted above, it is a well known phenomenon. In the common lab mouse they have found something like 12 different alleles that all make the classic “red-eyed/white” Albino phenotype. In Danios there are, I think, 9 different alleles.

There are only a finite number of ways you can “break” the tyr so it is hyperbole to say the possibilities are “infinite”. And as far as getting double recessives out of them, that is just the pure and simple nonsense of someone that does not understand genetics half as well as they pretend to. If you go back to my examples above, there is no way you can end up with four sets of incomplete instructions from two boxes.

^^^
THIS

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nah, high and low contrast are all secondary phenotypes

Well it depends on the combination. Anything paired with Albino will look like an Albino but if you made a Candy Ultramel it would most probably look like a really really washed out Lav

7 Likes