Duct tape accident

The correct way to setup is indeed to have the thermostat probe sandwiched between the heat mat and the enclosure, a thermostat probe should never be placed inside the enclosure as the following can happen.

Probe dislodging itself because of the snake movement

Water dish spilled over the probe

Massive amount of urine over the probe

All of which would lead to the probe cooling down and the temperatures shooting up which could itself lead to thermal burn.

If a wooden enclosure is used forcing to have a heat source in the enclosure than a RHP is highly recommended as the safest heat option.

Now a thermometer probe for those using thermometers with a probe should be secured inside the enclosure with hot glue, one of the important rules about snake keeping it to NEVER use tape in an enclosure.

Hope that answers your question.

5 Likes

I think thermostat probe inside/outside can work either way if itā€™s set up correctly. (Inside being a bit riskier, and extra precautions need to be taken.)

But I would say that sticky backs, tape, anything with sticky adhesive is a risk thatā€™s not worth taking. I think hot glue or silicone can get everything done that sticky glues would in an enclosure.

For extending the life of the heat pad and better tracking overall, a proportional heat controller will help a lot so its not on-off-on-off all the time.

Update April 1st-

Heā€™s doing great, and back to his normal behavior! Wonā€™t use tape anymore, and Iā€™ll invest in some silicone once stores are back open for us! No wounds, or scraps were found, and all the redness is gone. But Iā€™m waiting until Friday to try feeding him, just in case <3

1 Like

Probe shouldnā€™t go in the cage

Unless you have a heat panel or your heat tape/pad is inside of the cage

Put it on the heat tape it will not melt the probe the probe is there to make the heat tape stay at like 90degrees 90 degrees Wonā€™t melt anything