Dull electric blue day babies

I’m new to electric blue day geckos , and my babies look pretty dull. When I got them they always looked on the darker side but now that I look at them more they’re like borderline black if you look at them at a certain angle . They have color but it’s barely there . One is super active and more bold I always find him and the other one is always hiding in the cracks and crevices . Both of them have pretty warm basking spots the only difference is their uvb . The shy one I’m running a exo terra terra sky led spot light and the other is Amazon uvb led. The shy one I notice I have to offer it food as it is always hiding so I feed CGD on a tooth pick . The other is constantly moving up ahead down and found thier food bowl . Any tips of advice ?

This is the shy guy .

This is my bold guy

2 Likes

Do you think it’s the difference in the UVB brands? Are both the same strength UVB?

UVB LEDs are dangerous and should not be used.

Wunderlich, Sarina & Baines, Frances & Griffiths, Thomas. (2023). UVB‐emitting LEDs for reptile lighting: Identifying the risks of nonsolar UV spectra. Zoo Biology. 43. 1-14. 10.1002/zoo.21806.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/374918776_UVB-emitting_LEDs_for_reptile_lighting_Identifying_the_risks_of_nonsolar_UV_spectra

I would recommend removing those lights immediately, then purchasing a Solarmeter and appropriate fluorescent lights.

1 Like

Actually these lights may be the culprit accounting for the color change?. I’m don’t have day geckos but I do have cresties and chameleon geckos. I don’t use UVB for my crestie’s. My breeding chameleon geckos have a very light/low wattage? of UVB because their breeder recommended it. My 2 babies do not have UVB though.

Interesting. It’s a very low wattage uvb led. 3w . I have it about 8 inches away from from the enclosure . I’ll check it out though

1 Like

Well even though it’s a low wattage, these day geckos may just not need or want UVB. However I am tagging @cmsreptiles Christina. I think she keeps day geckos……..

1 Like

Turns out shy guy was just shedding . Thanks everyone who gave advice and tips :sob:

2 Likes

Both there colors look sooo much brighter :rofl:

Bold guy

Shy guy

1 Like

Hmmmmm. Never thought about that! :zany_face:

Ah I’m sorry I do not keep them, thanks for the tag though!

I was going to say looking at them that I suspected the darker one to shed, turns out I was correct :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Do you keep mourning Geckos then?

1 Like

Yes I do :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s where I got mixed up!!! :upside_down_face::spider::ant::frog::dog_face::lizard::purple_heart::paw_prints::folded_hands::snake::parrot::wink:

1 Like

I did change out the UVB though so thank you for getting me that article

2 Likes