Dwarf Dumeril's

This is Peggy Lee, a 3 year old female Prato line Dwarf Dumeril’s Boa. Dwarf Dumeril’s only grow to be 3.5-5 feet long. They are also really rare, with only a few people working with them.

29 Likes

Now that’s a beautiful snake!

10 Likes

Wow, I didn’t even know that dwarf Dumeril’s were a thing. How interesting.

10 Likes

Yeah, there are only a few out there. They are descended from Swedish imports.

12 Likes

@westridge Seems like a great boa for people that want smaller snakes! Just wondering is there a separate classification for these dwarfs, or noticeable physical differences between them and regular dumerils, besides size. You know like the difference in dwarf and regular Burmese and kalotoa sd retics and mainland? Very interesting, never heard of them either!

7 Likes

The only specimens of the Dwarf Dumeril’s that I have ever seen in person are my current pair, but they seem exactly the same as regular Dumeril’s in shape, pattern, coloration, and temperament. They are not taxonomically differentiated from regular Dumeril’s, and probably never will be, due to the state of wildlife in Madagascar. It is not known whether they represent a dwarf locality or a mutation. I don’t think they are a mutation, because most animals with a dwarf mutation have health issues, which these guys don’t. I can say that they are from the same lineage as the ill-fated Hypo Dumeril’s, but have never produced Hypos and there are no survival issues with the Dwarves.

7 Likes

Nice to know! Thanks for the response, keep us updated on this project for sure! Very cool boas!

4 Likes

That’s really neat! I didn’t know there was a dwarf variety.

4 Likes

Wow! I didn’t know that dwarf dumeril’s were a thing but I have been wondering, I’ve been keeping my 5 year old female on a regular feeding schedule the entire 3 years I’ve had her- when I obtained her at about 2 years old (according to the previous owner) she was approximately 4ft and 3 years later she’s 5ft. It’s crossed my mind whether she is a dwarf or not but since I don’t know her lineage I don’t know for sure. She could be just stunted but I really don’t think so? She should definitely be bigger at this age. Any good sources on the dwarf dumeril’s variety?

4 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, Michael Beach is the only real source for Dwarf Dumeril’s right now, when he has them available. If yours is really a Prato line Dwarf, it will almost certainly trace back to him.

I’m planning on pairing mine this winter, but I’m not sure if I’ll end up with offspring because my pair was born in 2019.

5 Likes

1st Welcome to the community.

I think your girl is right on schedule. Dumerils do just about everything a bit slower. Maturity, females don’t breed until about 5yo and every other year @best. Metabolism, even as hatchies best to feed every other week. Growth, I have a 4yo girl that’s only about 4.5-5ft a dwarf would probably only be about half that. Great species though, good size and very strong for it. Beautiful cryptic pattern/color, great temperament & feeding, moderate husbandry. Always wonder what morphs could do to it.

5 Likes

I have a dwarf. Absolutely love him.

2 Likes

Just wondering, how old is he, and how big?

2 Likes

He is an adult. My friend was breeding him. He is around 4 feet. I hope the Xbox controller offers a good size comparison.

8 Likes

Interesting. My buddy’s female just had 11, his 12-13 yr old pair are no longer than 3-4’.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Very cool to see more people out there are producing these!

6 Likes

Dumeril’s are awesome for sure!
We were producing these back in the late 90s. Ours were smaller. I don’t think they were dwarves, but they never got “boa big” like I’ve seen pics of other dumeril’s.
There seemed to be “red phase” and “silver phase” normals and yellow and orange hypo looking ones were starting to pop up. There was a breeder called “Classic Dums” that had what they were calling the “Arancio” (potential) morph.
If morphs are established within that species, they’ll be really popular because Dumeril’s make such great pets.
@westridge We need another “what-did-we-miss” catch up please:
What happened with the hypo dumeril’s?
It doesn’t sound good…
Aaron

5 Likes

I heard that all or most of the Hypo Dumeril’s died. I don’t think it was totally clear why, but I don’t have the full story.

4 Likes

I don’t want to start this again as I had my fill as biophiliacs on kingsnake pertaining to it. Bad genes, bad claims, bad ending for sure- but predictable. I have dwarfs. I have full size. I have bought from dums.com when it was- granite at best compared to my “pastel”. Pics soon to back this up.

edit- dums.com is up for 33k if ya want aanymore of that con.