Eastern Indigo Pair Having a Stroll

My pair of Eastern Indigos enjoyed a nice stroll this evening. Absolutely love the beauty and intelligence of Drymarchon couperi.

29 Likes

Beautiful animals, once again I’m jealous!

4 Likes

I love this species, hopefully someday I’ll be able to keep them (when I have the space).

3 Likes

Such awesome animals and great photos showing their beauty.

2 Likes

These are on my dream list of larger colubrids along with the False water cobra. Aside from the FWC and Drymarchon beauts like these I think I’ll stick to snaller colubrids. Corns, milks, Pituophis species, hoggies etc kinda snakes.

So pretty!!!

2 Likes

Colubrids are by far my favorite family of snakes. There’s so much variation, and I love the active, curious nature of most Colubrid species. Honorable mention to the family Lamprohiidae since they resemble Colubrids in almost every way except in taxonomic classification. I keep a few Python and Boa species, but Colubrids will always be my number one. :shushing_face:

4 Likes

I will check out this other snake fam you mentioned. I’m not interested in pythons and boas for the most part aside from a scientific perspective and I cannot really ever have hots so it will be nice to be able to maybe consider something outside the Colubridae.

So many nice active and friendly serpents in Colubridae. I hope your Eastern Indigo’s enjoyed their lil adventure.

1 Like

Beautiful, hope to get one of those in the future. Are they decent for handling or just for looks? Are they good eaters?

1 Like

Most are very handleable, especially as they mature into adults. They do have an intense feeding response which is important to be aware of because these are very large-bodied, powerful snakes. There are a lot of factors involved when keeping Drymarchon, particularly Eastern Indigos which will require a permit issued by USFWS for interstate commerce (if you are purchasing from a breeder outside of your state). I would suggest doing a lot of research on this genus before delving into them because they are truly unlike any other snake. They are incredibly rewarding to keep but there are a few important things you need to understand about them in order to appreciate keeping them.

7 Likes

Thank you! I’ll look more into it but probably won’t get a pair until I am finished with my hognose project, which I hope to be done in 3-4 years.

2 Likes

I’m jealous of just one… But a pair? Swooning!

3 Likes

I’ve been biding my time to get D. couperi, for about 22 years now. I think next year is the year. I’ll be applying for permits very soon, because I’m pretty sure nobody has them in Idaho, yet.

I think they are the pinnacle. For me, they are the ultimate colubrid.

5 Likes

I hope mine are this friendly! Picking them IP tomorrow ! :blush::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Wait you decided on both?! Congratulations!

Thank you so much they are doing wonderfully and I hope I can handle them soon, I’ll give them a few days to settle and the female was in shed when I picked them up, all done now :blush:

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see pictures!

2 Likes

I’ll take some later. :blush:

3 Likes

Stunning!!

2 Likes

If love to see pics as well!! Eastern indigos are simplybstunning snakes

1 Like