Eastern Kingsnakes breeding tips?

I have a male and female pair of Eastern Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula) that have been brumated. The female recently had what I assume to be was her post brumation shed. From what I’ve heard this is the best time to start pairing. I’ve tried twice so far in the span of a week and so far no dice. The first attempt was on a rainy day. Both snakes are 4 years old and are pushing 5 and a half feet long so they are fully capable of breeding. Any suggestions or advice?

1 Like

Is it there first time breeding? There is a chance that they are just not interested in breeding. I have heard that adding another male king snake shed into the males enclosure can cause the male to become more interested in breeding with females. Don’t know if this is true but I have heard people who say they have been successful doing it.

1 Like

Are you absolutely positive? I really don’t have any experience or knowledge about this species, but I see a lot of people accidentally mess this up. Just double check that you have a pair, and if you aren’t positive ask someone local or on here for confirmation.

1 Like

To my knowledge the female has never bred. The male came to me from CBN so I am sure he’s been bred before. I don’t have another male of the species, so I improvised with a male pueblan milksnake shed but he seemed more interested in eating it rather than viewing it as competition.

2 Likes

I’m having questions about the female. I may go get her probed, she was sold to me as a female, but I can double check. Hopefully when my female black ratsnake sheds I will notice better results because the male bred last year with a different individual, and now this female is old enough. Not my first time breeding snakes in general, but I sure do still feel new to it.

2 Likes