Egg incubator got Too hot

Hello
So i slept at my friends house for two days and i came back home to Find my ballpython egg incubator att 44C instead of 30. I had it at 31 all the time before since it varies between 30-32. But somehow it was 44 when i came this morning. I took out the eggs and let them cool naturally till they cooled down to rooms temperature when I came this morning.Iam wondering if this it for the eggs or do they still have hope.

Info:It’s 24±days until hatching

2 Likes

Im a fan of the phrase “incubate until theres no debate” if they are dead, they will start to mold and change color and show obvious signs of decay. If they continue to look normal in the coming weeks, they may be safe. But if you stop incubating them, they will not hatch for certain. Nothing lost by leaving them in incubation

3 Likes

I thought exactly so I kept them in the incubator. But I can’t find anything in the internet about someone who has the same accident happens. Iam super worried and feel bad for the eggs

1 Like

I am sure many have had that issue before, and that is why alot of breeders will insist on thermostats to prevent this exact problem (the thermostat connects to the outlet and cuts power to the heating unit in the event of a runaway). I would advise you to invest in one for the future to prevent such tragedies in the future if you did not already have one. Hindsight is 2020 and i dont mean to lecture you, only to offer friendly advice :slight_smile: i truely hope the best for yourself and the clutch!

6 Likes

Its very good advice and I thank you for it a lot. I had some economy problems and I didn’t buy which I really should have done. I thought it would be enough buying an exoterra incubator since they have a heat choice. I also put a thermostat but not the kind of one that can turn off the incubator. Lesson learned the hard way… I will keep my fingers crossed

2 Likes

It’s one of those cases when you will have to wait and see I have seen people experiencing extreme surge in temps and the animals hatch fine and some that did not.

3 Likes

Starting breeding can be expensive, i have invested about 6-7k so far to start breeding in 3 years hopefully, i undersrand the economic decision making haha, it is unfortunate it happened before you could raise the capital for proper protection, but at least now when you get one you know exactly what its for and what its preventing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

was your eggs ok after this heat spike? i came home frome being out of town or a couple days and my incubator was saying it was as hot as yours.

1 Like

Firstly welcome back to posting :slight_smile:

Any external heat? like full sun on the area from a window at a particular time -(answer - use thick curtains) or near a radiator (answer - move or turn it off)
also the under floor central heating pipes to radiators have random effects throughout the room. (answer - insulate them) also variations in ventilation

1 Like