Eggs yellowing but have veins

Got 6 as of this morning, only 3 left to go.

I had a fright this morning and I still feel horrible about it. I was moving one of the albino supers to her tub and she suddenly squirmed really fast and slipped off my hand. She fell 2ft to the floor and landed on her belly. I dont know if she is hurt and i had to leave for work only a few minutes after. I feel so terrible. This little baby isnt even 24 hours old and I might have just fatally injured her.

4 Likes

I don’t think that fall is dangerous. I would be more worried if you dropped her from 5ft. There is a chance she could be injured but I highly doubt it. Reptiles are much hardier than we think and while there is a chance she could be injured, she should be fine.

And congratulations on all of the babies. They are all super cute (but the albino supercondas are still my favorite, lol).

3 Likes

Thank you, this helps me feel better I really hope she is okay. When I get back home I’m going to place a towel beneath the rack so if it happens again they will be cushioned. I underestimated how small and squirmy they are, it’s like trying to hold an angry earthworm. In case you want to know, the directionally challenged one pictured above is who fell, she’s a little firecracker.

4 Likes

It looks like she’s playing dead in the picture, which I think is pretty funny (the attitude of hogs is one of the main reasons I like them so much). If the tubs come out of the rack easily it might just be easiest to do it on the floor but I don’t know what the rack design is. If they don’t putting a towel on the floor is a great idea.

3 Likes

I’m sure your little one will be fine, 2ft isn’t much and there’s not a lot of mass behind a baby that size. Add to that the size of the impact zone, body wise, and they are very good at absorbing the force of a fall without injury. I once latched a baby garter snake’s head in a bin (yes, latched. I felt TERRIBLE) and that little one was perfectly fine aside a bruise. A suggestion, if you want: interlocking foam tiles, like these are great for under racks & bins to soften any falls.

3 Likes

Just prior to that picture she was up against the side trying to crawl over herself, then just kind of tumped over. It was hilarious. If you look closely enough you can see her little tongue bleleleing.
I have a reptile basics I-10 rack. The tubs slide pretty easily. I’m mostly worried about them launching themselves out of the tub when i open it or try to pick them up. She did that immediately after falling the first time when i was trying to put her in. :expressionless:

4 Likes

I see the tongue now, I thought it was part of the body at first glance, lol. That was the rack I was planning on getting when I breed hogs. Do you keep the adults in a rack? If so what tubs do you use?
The foam pieces that @noodlehaus mentioned are a great idea. I’m going to use these (if I remember) when my reptile room had hard floors. If you want to open the rack without them escaping you could cut a piece of cardboard to size and use it to put in the tub to block the snake from jumping forward, which would let you change the water or check on the baby easily.

3 Likes

I really like the I-10. It was a little bit of a pain to put together at first but I went slightly against their directions and it actually worked better for me.
The adults are housed in a Cserpents V-28. It’s shipped pre-assembled so its pretty much plug and play. The tubs are really slick which makes them a breeze to clean. Even though I love the Cserpents rack at some point I will be getting 36" and 30" pvc cages for everyone. Except the mother of these babies. She has an attitude and seems to be calmer in a rack.

3 Likes

Oh that’s a really good idea thank you. I’m glad your garter is okay, that definitely would have freaked me out.

3 Likes

The best part about those mats is they’re also pretty easy to clean & protect floors. As for the garter, yeah, I thought I killed the little one, especially when it refused food. Now they’re almost a year old and thriving, so…Proof that babies are pretty good at bouncing back from anything.

I also have an adult female hognose that frequently climbs to the top of her enclosure and then falls down (about a foot drop), she scared the heck out of me the first time. Since then I’ve just realized that they are incredible creatures, but maybe not the brightest. :joy:

4 Likes

Definitely not the brightest. This clutches dad has 3 broken ribs from doing the same thing your female does. He climbed all the way to the top and then fell onto his stone water bowl. Thankfully it doesn’t affect him but he no longer has climbing privileges.

4 Likes

Sibling photo shoot! All 9 hatched and are doing well. Going to try feeding the first time tomorrow. There are a few that I’m unsure of sex, these little ones are much harder than a 3-5 month old. I’m not great at picture taking so bear with me.

The super in the above picture is the one that fell. She’s doing great and definitely takes after her mom with the spastic personality.

That last albino conda is my favorite. Its very shy and calm and i love its faded pattern.

7 Likes

Those babies are super cute!

2 Likes

Absolutely andvcompletely adorable. Congratulations on a beautiful clutch!

2 Likes

Congrats on the healthy clutch!
Adorable babies! I love the little one that’s pancaking, probably the cutest thing I see hoggies do :joy:

3 Likes

I love your albino super condas! They are the cutest hog combo!

2 Likes

Thought I’d update on the babies but i also have a follow up question in case anybody knows. They are almost 3 weeks old and so far 2 babies are feeding consistently and the rest are spotty. Still have 4 that have yet to take a meal. I’m currently in the process of moving but I got a little light box so I’m going to try some photo shoots Sunday.
My question is in regards to an egg, again of course. This is a double clutch that is 4 weeks old today. There’s seven and i found 3 leaking and a 4th with what I can only assume is yolk slipped out? I tried to patch it as best I could but I don’t know if what I did will work or if there is even any saving this one? I could see the shadow of the baby but it didn’t look like it was moving.

1 Like

Finally got around to getting pictures of all the babies. I think the tally is 6.3 though there are still one or two i’m not confident on. 7 of 9 ate this past time with three of those taken their fourth meal. Hopefully the final two start eating soon. I tried to do the gallery thing with their pictures so I hope it works properly.
The eggs from the previous post are still viable I think. I ended up getting some elmers glue, mixing with athletes powder and making a casing over the yolk material hanging out. By the time I was able to do that it had already sucked back in some of the material so I’m hopeful that’s a good sign. There is no more sign of leakage with any of them.

Edit: I couldn’t figure out how to do a gallery

6 Likes

Beautiful babies! Congratulations!

1 Like

The clutch that had so many leaking, yolk spilling problems hatched last weekend. All 7 came out perfectly healthy. I’m just in awe of how tough these eggs were.

8 Likes