Egyptian Tortoise

Does anybody here have any experience with keeping/breeding egyptian tortoises. I am looking to get some in the next couple years and I am wondering if anybody here can give me some advice about basic requirements like tank size, temperature, hides, dishes, food, etc. Everything online is conflicting information and I am wondering if anybody with experience can give me some information. Also does anybody have experience with shipping tortoises/turtles under 4 inches. The FDA put some kind of restriction about shipping turtles under 4 inches though I don’t know if it applies to tortoises or if you can still ship small tortoises just with limitations or taxes.

This is the best care guide I came across when I was considering acquiring this species:

https://www.hermannihaven.com/egyptian-tortoise-care-sheet

4 Likes

I believe the FDA law that you referring to is the 4" limitation law that was enacted in 1975. The explanation of that law can be accessed here: https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/basics/the-4-inch-law-new
It applies more to selling and possession than shipping.

2 Likes

So pretty much the main way around it is to not sell as a business or wait until they are at least 4" or list them as 4" long.

Don’t try and get around it. Chelonians under 4" should not be sold. Not worth the potential legal repercussions. Historically it has to do with kids dying of Salmonella after popping nickel/dime turtles in their mouths.

1 Like

But if I kept and grew them so they reached 4" long or had space in case they didn’t reach that size then I could safely sell them. I would still be able to own them if they were under 4" as long as they were never sold and I hatched them.

1 Like

Are these guys common in the hobby? Are they huge? I know little about chelonians, but they’re so cool! In my ultimate-dream-scenario life, I would definitely have at least one. Probably a grumpy old one. I have a soft spot for geriatric pets & rescues.

1 Like

Egyptian tortoises reach a max length of 4-5" which is why they’re so easy to keep as pets indoors. However since they only lay 1-2 eggs per year they cost about $1000. The confusing part is I see lots of online retailers selling egyptian tortoises as hatchlings or 6 months old which would be under 4" long. They really aren’t that common because of how little eggs they lay per year and most people getting them get them as pets and don’t breed them and since most people like bigger tortoises like russian or pancake tortoises. But for people like me who want to have a small indoor tortoises that stays that small for its whole life egyptian tortoises are the only option.
Unfortunately for you egyptian tortoises are too cute to be grumpy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You never know- maybe I’ll find a tortoise that is a total curmudgeon one day! :blush: Egyptian tortoises sound very cool, I’ll have to check them out in more depth. I had always assumed that I’d never be able to have a tortoise, as I’m also an apartment renter. :turtle:

1 Like

Good luck, Egyptian tortoises are very unique since they can be kept inside, I don’t really want a pet that needs to be outside because then I’d need a tortoise pen or a fenced in yard, shelter, making sure it’s clean and safe for the tortoise from the elements, etc. Also I’d want to easily watch it and hold it. I’d never really had an interest in tortoises before because of the outdoor requirements and once I heard about egyptian tortoises I wanted to get one…or two…maybe three :slight_smile:

2 Likes