Elaphe dione clutch

Recently hatched out my first clutch of Elaphe dione! I went 8 for 8 with the clutch which is from a Siberian male to a Beijing female. I’ll be doing a write up on the process for herpetoculturenetwork.com once I get them eating and all. Figured some folks would find it cool since it’s a species that doesn’t seem to have a lot of people keeping/breeding them in the US.

19 Likes

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of the species. They are something I would love to see available.

2 Likes

they have a MASSIVE range from Europe to Asia, smaller size, with a ton of colors and patterns. I think they had a larger following in the states at one point but fell off the radar over time.

4 Likes

Those are beautiful little snakes, congratulations on the successful clutch! Do they keep that colouring as adults, or do they change as they mature? I know very little about them.

4 Likes

Very pretty little thing! Congratulations on the successful clutch. I know next to nada about them, but you’ve piqued my interest. Hope to learn more from your write-up.

5 Likes

This is super super neat! Awesome for real!

6 Likes

They will change over time but it isn’t nearly to the extent as you see with Pantherophis or other rat species. Also thank you!

4 Likes

So beautiful!! Do you use any app to manage your snakes and clutch? I recently started to use Snakelog app to manage my clutches and i’m really happy. You should give it a try ;).

3 Likes

I don’t I’ve tried some others in the past and I always find myself going back to the old pen, paper, and masking tape lol .

5 Likes

Lol me too. Congrats on great clutch. Rats are a great species, I’ve been on the lookout for a cbb 100 flower for awhile.

4 Likes

@pcexotics I enjoyed your interview on Colubrid & Colubroid Radio. Congrats on your clutch!

3 Likes

thank you! Matt and Zac are two of my favorite people.

1 Like