Eldest got a new animal

Some years back, at the seventh annual NE CarpetFest, eldest got to get some hands on time with some scrub pythons, S. amethistina

She was enraptured and I told her that if the opportunity ever arrived I would support her getting one, although I would be lying if I said I was not extremely nervous about her with an animal that has the potential to break 3m in length.

Flash forward to last week when buddy of mine needed to rehome this beautiful Tanimbar scrub, S. nauta. As this species has all the personality and intelligence of an amethistina but in a much smaller, more manageable package, I went forward with acquiring it for her.

Nothing like seeing someone get their hands on one of their ā€œgrailā€ species

17 Likes

Absolutely stunning! LšŸ„°
Love seeing someone with an animal theyā€™ve always wanted, and what a great one to go for too!
(My 6 year old has been hounding us for a couple years now for a Basilisk since first seeing one) I said when sheā€™s older (much older) I will happily get her one, she helps out now with all the reptiles so I know sheā€™s going to be great with one when sheā€™s older!
Has she named him/her yet? :blush:

3 Likes

No name yet. I keep calling him ā€˜Death in a Cupcakeā€™ but that just gets me the ā€˜teenage death stareā€™ :rofl:

9 Likes

Very beautiful snake!

2 Likes

Wow congratulations to her! That is like me getting a female dwarf retic. That is one super pretty snake. :grin:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s so awesome, Iā€™ve never seen one of those before! (scrub pythons - not children)

When I was 6 or 7 I desperately wanted an anaconda after seeing one at Clyd Peelingā€™s reptile land and my mom wouldnā€™t let me get one. It seemed unfair at the time but in hindsight was pretty good parenting

5 Likes

Beautifull snake and great compromise. Still a scrub python but than a manageable one. Hope she will enjoy it for many more years to come.

She doesnā€™t look at it like you would look at ā€œdeath in a cupcakeā€ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: bet she will choose a sweeter name

2 Likes

ā€œDeath in a Cupcakeā€ is just one of my go-to smart alekc answers that I know gets a rise out of eldest. So when my wife asked what she was going to name it I answered with that. Eldest rolled her eyes and I got my laugh for the day.

6 Likes

Currently doing the same with my daughter.
This warms my heart

2 Likes

What is her dream animal? Just curious :grin: