Elmo the destroyer

Elmo’s going to be moving into his new and improved bioactive enclosure soon! He is a yearling scaleless Texas rat snake who is absolutely amazing. I was wondering what I should use as a clean up crew. I was thinking arid springtails, powder blue/orange isopods, and potentially mealworms and mealworm beetles. Any plant recommendations? Here is the enclosure as of now.

10 Likes

What no plants? Or a light? Just kidding! Looks good! :blush:

4 Likes

It looks great so far! He’ll have lots of hiding and climbing places in that awesome cork bark jungle. Definitely needs some greenery, though. Some golden pothos would look amazing. A cork bark or tree fern background with some climbing plants and/or moss would also look great.

4 Likes

A large fern and maybe a snake plant somewhere might look really good! Also if you can get a smaller creeping plant that might establish itself climbing up the wood that would be amazing! You’ve probably heard of him, but Serpa Design’s YouTube would be a great place to find a list of plants you want! I also think Josh’s frogs might have some plants on sale. They send out emails every once in a while about it.

3 Likes

You’ve got some great advice I don’t have much to add to, but I have to get in here and say that Elmo the Destroyer is an incredible name for a snake. Bravo.

5 Likes

Bit of an update. I got some ponytail bush and snake plant for the enclosure. I am going to wash the roots off and post a picture when I finish planting them

4 Likes

It looks a lot better in person but I am so far very happy with how it is turning out. The camera makes the plants look half the size that they are and they are much less vibrant looking in the picture. I am still going to be getting a couple more plants, get some more leaves, and have to let it grow in for a few months as Elmo loves to dig. Can’t wait for it to be done. I know he is going to love it.

4 Likes

Just letting you know…ponytails get huge, like the size of a tree with time :wink:. My mom had a potted one when we used to live in New York, but when we moved here to Florida, we realize people use them as trees in their yards.

2 Likes

Oh… well hopefully it manages to stay on the smaller side. I wouldn’t mind if it somehow managed to grow through the screen though :rofl:

3 Likes

Lookin good Logan! :+1::pray::sunglasses::star_struck:

I love the ponytail bushes! They are my absolute favorite! :blush:

It’s looking great!! Elmo is going to love it!

2 Likes