Emergency caregiver? I need help

So awesome news, i got hit by a car and broke my leg.
I’m in the hospital now, I’ve been here for a few days, and when i go home I’m going to have visits from at home caretakers to help me adjust to my new life in a wheelchair (for the next 3 or so months)
It’s going to be really hard taking care of myself let alone my animals and i need help.

I live in the puget sound (greater Seattle area) in Washington and i need to find someone that is qualified/experienced to help me care for my snakes while i heal from my injuries.

If you know anyone in that area or have any resources to some place that could provide at home pet care in my area i would be beyond grateful. Please MMRC, do your magic. Thank you all in advance.

12 Likes

Oh I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this situation! I am in southern Indiana unfortunately! If I was near you I would be there in a heartbeat!

So here is an idea. I am assuming you have a reptile vet right? If so, I would think maybe a vet assistant working there might consider coming by your home once or twice a week to feed/clean or whatever else your reptiles might need? Of course you will have to pay for the service.

Other than that I can’t think of anything else at the moment……

Good luck and I wish you the very best! :pray::snake:

8 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. I don’t know anyone in that area, but maybe you could look through the stores in your area and reach out to a few? Maybe one of the smaller breeders could help you out or maybe they know someone who could.

https://www.morphmarket.com/stores/map/?cat=

If you’re on Facebook, local reptile groups might also be a good option to look at.

I hope you have a quick recovery!

8 Likes

I’m so sorry about your accident, that’s awful! :worried: Sadly I’m in California, if it were a shorter drive, I’d totally help out.

Am I remembering correctly that you have a partner? If so, perhaps s/he could help out. Even if they’re not all that knowledgeable or experienced, they could probably scoop poop and dangle rats under your supervision. Or if you have any friends who might not be reptile people but would still be willing to help out with your direction and supervision.

If that sort of stuff is not an option, the suggestion about reaching out to local reptile vets or breeders is a great idea.

9 Likes

Sorry to hear that! That’s a tuff situation, like @jawramik suggested friends would be my first choice even if they are not comfortable you could probably walk them through it? Also I know everyone suggested great places to look for help, I used to volunteer at a reptile rescue in my hometown and they had lots of resources and connections to people/volunteers that might help out short term. Maybe you could check out ones near you? Hope your back on your feet soon!

8 Likes

Oh my goodness, I just saw this post. I’m so so sorry to hear what you’re going through. I hope that you’re able to find all the support you need to heal quickly and without complications, and to get care for your animals. Prayers for the whole situation!

7 Likes

I’m too busy at the moment for a detailed post (sorry😬), but I had great luck finding a pet sitter for my exotics by searching pet sitter sites and using google. I was in Vancouver, WA at the time.

10 Likes

Wonderful! Glad to hear this. Continuing to pray for your healing.

4 Likes

So i actually did end up finding a person that could come up and help with the snakes and so that is the good part. The bad part is that i got discharged and then almost immediately called back into the hospital because they did a blood culture on me and found out i developed a blood infection during the surgery due to some sanitation complications under operation. I’ve been back in the hospital for three more days and hooked up to constant IV’s. I’ve been poked over and over again like a pin cushion so much that i look like i got attacked by something. I’m on round the clock meds right now. Just trying to take it day by day. The officer who reported to the scene of the accident gave me a ticket, so i have to contest that in court as well as take the lady who hit me to court. Not sure what’s going to happen for the future and i don’t like to be super negative here, but life’s really putting me through it right now and i am thankful that i have y’all here because i think having community through these hard times is really important to help me make it through.
Good news is that i might be able to get out of here for good soon?

12 Likes

Hugs GIF

:people_hugging:

(Uh, just to clarify, that’s meant to be a supportive hug, not a wrestling move. :smile: )

8 Likes

I just want to say thank you all for sending me well wishes at this time. It may not seem like a lot, but it makes being stuck in here feel a little less lonely. :heart:

7 Likes

Say what!?!? :person_facepalming: I’m so sorry that you have to deal with that on top of everything else.

I’m glad that you found someone to help care for your critters, but I’m so sorry you’re experiencing further health complications. Sending you hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery from this point on! :heart:

9 Likes

So sorry to hear that!

That makes me so mad, you wouldn’t think that should or could happen! Don’t worry about the ticket and all that stuff, just focus on getting better. Worry about that stuff after you are all good. Glad to hear you did find someone to take care of your snakes, at least you don’t need to worry about that. Wish you a speedy and great recovery!

7 Likes

As a retired medical professional, I feel the need to mention that contamination frequently happens for reasons other than medical mistakes.

Further explanation

An example would be GI tract surgery. It’s always considered a contaminated surgery that will always need antibiotics because of the nature of the GI tract and its contents.

That may or may not be the case here, I don’t know at all, I just think it’s necessary to clarify. It’s very difficult for me to see people jump to the worst conclusions about that sort of thing because I used to be on the receiving end of that treatment all the time. Now that I’m retired I’m in a position where I can bring clarity to such things without drawing the ire of the internet down on my workplace. :wink:

9 Likes

Oh, I’m so sorry for all the additional challenges you’re going through. :cry: It’s so hard to be so completely vulnerable and feel so rough. I hope that you improve quickly. Hugs and prayers.

6 Likes

Yes you are correct. I don’t want to insult my surgeon, he did a wonderful job with the titanium rod placement and screws. I should have made a disclaimer,
complications can happen for many reasons, and we might never know the exact cause for the one that caused this blood infection. But i am very confident about the complication having arisen during surgery as i was immediately wrapped up in a fully wound protecting splint from my foot up to my thigh immediately post surgery and it stayed on the entire time in the hospital. And i was home for less than 24 hours after my initial discharge before i was right back in the hospital for fever, a burning sensation, and excessive pain in my leg not being managed by the pain medication. They took my blood for culture then and sent me back home, but ended up calling me almost immediately back to the hospital after the results came in showing the bacterial contamination. And I’ve essentially been here ever since. In my non medical doctorate opinion, between the surgery and the breif time i spent at home, there was no incident or unsanitary environment that would have been able to expose my blood to bacterial contamination. But even with that being said that does not mean that there was any misconduct from the surgeon team. There simply may have been a mistake somewhere or something that simply got contaminated during the surgery. The bacteria i have is very common and safely resides on human skin (not so safe in the blood tho) so literally anything could have happened. The odds of someone actually getting an infection like this from surgery are actually quite low, so i just had really really really really bad luck.

Am i still upset about it? Sure. And that’s within my right. But it won’t change anything currently.

8 Likes

The best update in the world:

I AM FREE!!! NO MORE 4 AM BLOOD DRAWS AND UNSEASONED FROZEN/REHEATED CHICKEN. NO MORE HOURS ON END STUCK IN BED HOOKED UP TO TUBES GALORE, NO MORE INCESSANT BEEPING FROM THE IV MACHINE, AND NO MORE TUBES IN MY ARMS!!

WOHOO! I’M SO HAPPY!!

Now onto laying in MY bed all day. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Wow! What a kick in the rear! I feel badly that you are going through this trial! I am leaning toward contamination contracted at the hospital, possibly by contaminated surgical instruments!

I had a routine procedure, a D&C, years ago when I was in my early twenties. A few days afterwards I developed cramping which the Doctor said would be normal. But the cramping got worse and I developed abdominal swelling. Doctor still maintained it normal. About a week after the D&C I ended up in the emergency room in the middle of the night. The nurse looked at my stomach and asked me how far along I was. I told her I was not pregnant, although I looked like I was about 6 months or so. I was in so much pain that I was vomiting.

Long story short I was admitted to the hospital that night with a pelvic abscess. I was in the hospital for a week with iv antibiotics round the clock and 4 antibiotic shots a day, 2 in each hip. Talk about sting and bruising. My gynecologist said the infection was a bear. First 2 days was high fever and almost delirium.

Did I possibly contract this bear of infection from contaminated instruments? Nobody ever said but I think so. I was off work for another 2 weeks after that. Sorry @mblaney but I have to disagree a bit here.

Now I know this story doesn’t help your situation but I can certainly understand and sympathize with you and what you are going through because I am living proof that this stuff happens under very suspicious circumstances. And it’s our word against the hospital’s and guess who comes out on top. So @auriea I am angry for your sake and I have a feeling this stuff happens a lot more than we hear about.

5 Likes

YAYYYY!!! :confetti_ball: :tada:
I’ve always wondered why absurdly-early-morning blood is better than blood drawn just before breakfast. And who things beeping clicking bleeping machines with binning lights are conducive to sleep. And why hospitals are so freaking bad at allowing anyone to rest at all.

I’m thrilled you’re back home. That’s the best feeling! Rest well. And feel better soon.

6 Likes

I say AMEN to that! :+1::tada::balloon::champagne::confetti_ball::wave:

5 Likes