Emergency Heat... Do You Have Small Generators?

I live out in the sticks. I bought a very expensive generator which my pit bull ate when he discovered a mouse had moved into it. Yeah, he does things like that. But he always gets his mouse. Anyway, its gone, and I don’t want to buy another. We rarely have power out here, but if I do, I want some back up besides the fireplace. Do any of you have little generators? Something easy to use inside? If so, what brand do you like? And what other precautions do you guys take for power out? THank you

1 Like

You could use your vehicles heater if you ever need to as a last resort

1 Like

We have a Genarack. We keep it full with fuel and in the event we loose power we run the power cord to the snake room and run the necessities like the incubator and the thermostats for the girls expecting. We haven’t had the power out super long though and if we did we would have to plug in the heaters too. Eventually we will have a built in one that runs the house (or animal building).

3 Likes

Same- small generator, fortunately haven’t needed it, if i did would do same as steelserpents. Before generator and when collection was much smaller I did use hand/foot warmer pouches or heat packs for shipping in a short term emergency.

2 Likes

I know of power banks that charge like a battery and can be used like a generator, of course that depends on that power situation you got, could always take them somewhere to charge

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Battery-Protector-Back-UPS-BE600M1/dp/B01FWAZEIU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=pc+backup+power&qid=1617947986&sr=8-3

2 Likes

We don’t have a generator for one reason alone, we have a wood burning stove. If the power were to ever go out when it is cold, we would just pop some logs on the fire and it would be fine. Can bring all of my snakes into the living room and keep them warm in there.