Enclosure recommendations

Hey all , I am wondering if anyone has enclosure recommendations for a King Rat Snake, he’s a juvenile so not super small but not huge yet either. I am thinking of some sort of 4x2x2. I was able to find this , but how well would this work? I am sketchy using acrylic vs glass and would have to install a lock. If not I may go towards a melamine 4x2x2 enclosure. Would love to hear others input , I am trying to stay under 400$

7 Likes

The problem I have found with PVC and such enclosures, is shipping. The enclosure may stay below your budget, but the cost of freight drop shipping is BIG.

7 Likes

APCages 4x2x2. Paid at end of Feb and got in the end of April.

Other option is reptile conventions. Sometime you will find vendors that sell enclosures, and you save on shipping.

Not sure if you are looking for a solid top or vented.

9 Likes

If you dont mind a vented top. You can go with Dubia.com. They have a cheap 4x2x2 with glass doors.

6 Likes

I love my Zen Habitats enclosure - plus - free shipping! My only two cents is to upgrade the doors as the original doors scratch easily.

https://www.zenhabitats.com/

7 Likes

Ye I think this is going to be my option , apart from using OfferUp which could have something nice. I just need to wait until they get in stock lol

@gem_state_pythons that setup is gorgeous ! I’ll definitely have to consider them. I don’t plan to stack as this is my only reptile and it looks good aesthetically which is very important haha

6 Likes

Like @spottedbull said the shipping can be expensive, unless they ship flat. Also you have to put it together. Last time I was at a local reptile expo the 2x2 and 4x2 pvc cages were selling faster then the reptiles! I would suggest checking a expo out if you have any coming up, get there early. No waiting or assembly for brand new equipment.

6 Likes

Also check local pet supply stores. One of the stores here (in a town of 26k) started carrying Zen. They charge the same price as the online store - which I was quite surprised about.

5 Likes

Yes, expos are a great idea! Went to a small one recently and the enclosure vendors werent there. Very disappointed. Brought home 3 degus instead.

6 Likes

I have a PVC cage from Animal Plastics and a smaller one from All American Cages. I really like both of them. AP ships flat (I think shipping is $50, not too bad), but the AAC enclosure shipped fully-assembled, so shipping cost a pretty penny (but the enclosure itself was very reasonably priced). AP is also made from much thicker PVC. For something as big as a 4’x2’x2’, I’d definitely recommend trying to find an option that ships flat. The AP cages go together really easily, it only takes a few minutes, so as long as assembly is easy, I think shipping disassembled is the way to go.

Both AP and AAC will do all sorts of custom stuff if you want/need it. AP in particular has all kinds of custom options. I don’t know if enclosures from places like Zen and Dubia.com have the same custom options, but not everybody cares about that.

7 Likes

Here is a list of 4x2x2 PVC cages sorted by price and who makes them. Includes a lot of info. Going to have to zoom in to see it.

10 Likes

@patriotballs thatbis very, very cool. Im gonna save that! Many thanks!

6 Likes

You are the best!! Thank you

3 Likes

Unfortunately the AP cages that are over that 48" long size have to be shipped drop freight. And I need a couple of 6’ cages. Shipping is over $200 for those.

3 Likes

If your handy you could make your own cage.

http://www.mccarthyboas.com/EZ_Prints.html

4 Likes

Yeah my buddy and I have been looking at those. Im not a wood working kinda guy and he is. But he had a small stroke so we are working through that right now. I think my sons-in-law and I are gonna make one pretty soon.

4 Likes