Enclosure Temperature Help Please

Hi i have 2 ball pythons juveniles in 40gal exoterra front opening terrariums both on heating pads with jumpstart regulations on highest it can go like 105 degrees i believe & tank with screen tops i cannot get the temperature on the hot side past 70 degrees in both tanks ive tried using the heat vac tape on the screens but the way the weather is here in CA and the AC unit in our apartment mixed with the cocoblox substrate it becomes way to humid so humid they could probably get scale rot help please i don’t want my babys developing any issues down the line the both slam rats but other issues could happen im sure in the meantime all I can do is cover the tanks in 2 warm blankets each at night would love to fix this for their well-being thank you so much

Hallo Queenabigail, i got a exoterra enclosure and using both a matt and a 50 watt ceramic heatlamp ontop both a thermostat. I taped the front ventilation and 3 of the meshes ontop. My humidity is now around 50-55. Exo terra looks nice it seems hard to regulate from start. Goodluck

1 Like

Btw, i use coco also and papertowel on the side of the heatmat inside the hide to boost the temp.

1 Like

I would try 150 watt CHE’s. Look on Amazon for some inexpensive ones. Get a plug in dimmer switch. I also use digital temp/hygrometers you can get at local, big chain hardware stores for like $10. Slowly adjust the dimmer switch to the desired temps. As far as humidity, maybe try switching to newspaper? Or, dry your coco substrate out a little more in the sun? I’m sure heat mats are fine, but I’m a bit paranoid of them. When I was a kid, a friend had a corn snake that got burnt really bad on a heat mat. I also like overhead heat because I feel like it’s closer to being a natural way to heat the environment. If humidity is still an issue, just mist them every couple days a little bit. Try for 90ish degrees on warm side, low 80ish degrees on cool side.

1 Like

When I was using exo terra enclosures what I did was replace the top (can use glass cut to fit or wood). I then used radiant heat panels. They kept the hot spot and ambient perfect.

1 Like

Thank you all for the responses I will update soon

So turns out my husband had the wrong sized UTH on the bp tanks believing the tanks were smaller than they actually were i told him previously 5 or so times the right size to purchase hes one of those people who believe they are right no matter what (super eye roll) so anyway after having my suspicions I checked the size of the heaters they were indeed for smaller sized tanks the right sized UTHs have now been purchased and installed and my bps have the right temperature settings and tons of new energy since they now have heat! My champagne male is cruising around so fast now and crushing rats! Thank you to everyone for the care concern and time to read my post and offer suggestions :blush:

3 Likes