Enclosures for Adults

Ok. I know nothing about tubs and tub racks and all that. So I guess I need to be enlightened. (Probably about a lot of things.) So an adult boa could live in a T8 tub as a male and a T10 as a female? It was my belief that they needed about an 8’ long enclosure as adults, females at least. Is that not accurate? I need to know how much room Im gonna need for my boas in the future. Im not going to be breeding.

7 Likes

I keep adult males and smaller adult females in 4’ enclosures. I keep my bigger females in 6’. An 8’ is overkill for most animals.

11 Likes

Sounds fine to me.

6 Likes

Keep in mind when setting up your adult enclosures that proper heating and humidity can be difficult as they get bigger. The vision 632 is the biggest I’d ever want to use for Boas, I run pro heat 125 watt panels in them, which does a good job, and I recently went back to cypress mulch bedding and so glad I did. Humidity was a real pain before.

6 Likes

Yep that is what I am planning on doing.

6 Likes

I agree with Randall on cage size. I do prefer rack system caging. I have a homemade one I use for sub adults. Any boa under 5’ long. My baby rack is an old freedom breeder my buddy gave me. Tub are 15" x 18" I believe. My big boas are in a ARS rack. Love this one very easy to clean and get my boas out of it.

This one now only has the longer tubs in it.

I do plan on getting this ARS rack to in the future. Maybe in 2 to 3 years. Depends on how many boas I sell to fund it.

9 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing. I thought they needed larger enclosures. Getting a boa (or two or three…) is starting to be very realistic now. I was expecting to be out at least $400-500 for an enclosure (before heating, substrate, etc.), and making the space for the enclosure would be impossible. But if an enclosure only costs $200-300 and is 4ft long, that’s pretty realistic for me.

5 Likes

They’re active but they’re not that active. For retics at that size I would recommend an 6-8 foot.

4 Likes

Here is the cost of a T8 with sliding glass doors and cage locks (without shipping). I usually pay $50 dollars in shipping. Also, the T8s come in the quick ship :wink:.

5 Likes

Ok. Im kinda dense some times. Adult female boa would be comfy in a 4x2x2 enclosure?

3 Likes

I mean, I guess I could start setting some money aside for this. :wink:

4 Likes

The less than large females can. My KRP Arabesque adult female and my currently gravid motley paraglow are both in vision 400s which are 4’x2’x16"

5 Likes

How long are those two lovely ladies?

1 Like

They’re both right around 6’.

The Motley will be moving to a Vision 632 after she delivers, the Arabesque will be going into a Vision 600 at that point too.

6 Likes

If you are feeding how a breeder would, then yes, for smaller and normal sized females. Lager females can go in 5 foot enclosures.

4 Likes

Awesome. I asked the wife about the cool PVC enclosures and I dont think she likes them. But the Animal Plastics come in white, so that may help. Im thinking I’ll just have to get a stack of 6 footers for my boas. And my skink probably needs one too. Then a stack of 4 footers for my colubrides.

5 Likes

Yeah Im not trying to power feed and grow her super fast, or the future ones either.

4 Likes

You also have to consider the fact that pet boas that are never bred will also live longer. Females that are breeding don’t live as long so they’re not reaching their max size potential :cry:.

4 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t think you were going to, just wise to say it though. If you have the space, and they are pets, you will love them in 6’.

4 Likes

When the time comes, pretty soon, I will chat with you about lights and heat tape and all the technical stuff for the inside.

4 Likes